Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doc540, Jan 7, 2005.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Trip Wamsley (right) played a solo show in town last night.

You'd just have to actually see and hear what he does with it!

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I met him at a summer NAMM a few years ago when he first got this thing and he was doing some great melodic stuff on it, but claimed he was still "trying to figure it out". He offered to let me play it, but there was no way. I have my hands full just trying to get comfy on a 6! He's a great guy as well as a great bass player, and has also helped me out with info from time to time.

BTW, I thought he told me it was a 32" scale bass because he has smaller hands, but the Alembic web site says it's 34". I've been thinkin' about emailing him, but it's prolly 34" and my poor memory.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i ran into Trip a couple of months ago at a local music store .
    he had this fantastic bass with him .
    check out his CD , awesome stuff ...
    he's an incredible player with humility to match ... what a cool guy ! :cool:
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah he is going to be here in ATL tomorrow night at Octane... TB'er jusplayinmybass and Darren Michaels are also going to be there... Here is the details for those of you that are ATLiens:

Octane Coffee in Atlanta
    1009-B Marietta Street NW
    Time: 7PM-10P
    Venue Phone: (404) 815-9886
    All Ages and Admission is Free!!!

*I got to see Trip at NAMM 2002 (Nash-Vegas), he was at the GK booth totally making everybody's jaw get rug-burn... If y'all get a chance to see him live... DO IT!
  5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    god i want that!!!![or the skill to play one]
    how heavy are they?

do you need a second guy to help lift it while on stage?
    like a bass dou with one bass!!! cool
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That thing is insane looking. It looks like a log. How on Earth do you play something like that? How do you reach certain strings?

That looks like something only Andre the Giant could play.
  7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I guess you would have to alter your technique a bit (muting and stretching), it does have a flat, if not nearly flat radius'd FB... so that has to be a challenge as well:

8. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have no idea how even when I watch him, but he does indeed just play the livin' **** outta that thing.

No, I mean, he is all OVER it, top to bottom, chords, slap, pop, pick, strum, zip, zap, and plap. :eek:

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Hey gentlemen! Tripster here. Actually, the bass is a 32" scale. Alembic erred on their site. As for altering technique, the big part of that is the right hand and not the left for me. I have small hands and the back of neck designed for that and the flat radius makes it all the mo' better for easy fretting. It's actually easier to play than some fivers and sixers. It IS heavy though. It's a bit more than 15 pounds, that's why I play it sitting down. Other companies make basses like that, that are much lighter, that sound really great but, at the end of the day I prefer the tone of my Alembic. So, I'm not bothered too much about the weight. Just thought I throw that out there. Doc, last night was TOO MUCH FUN! Thanks for all your help with the show last night.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Trip, you need to bring that thing to Dallas and play for us! It's not that far.:D
  11. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    bttt for the weekender's!
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    YO TRIP!, sorry I didn't get to see you on my last pass into La-La land.

You ARE coming to FL soon, right????

(tapping foot)

Oh, and I've played that "THING", it's amazingly easy to get around on actually - although there's no way in H-E-double toothpicks I can get anywhere close to what Trip does with it. He really scares me.

Hope all's well in Sulphur my friend!!!
  13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Mmmm ....
    It´s time to re-listen to your album and figure out what tunes are played on that bass. Dunno why but I thought it was a double stringed 4.
  14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yo Trip,

How was the gig last Satuday?
  15. woo-hoo!!

as of right now, Trip and I are planning a free show here in New Orleans in the middle of May. more details coming soon!

from the lows,

16. 15 pounds, sir.
    That's three of the extra-big jars of Jif Chunky slung around your neck on a dog chain.
    I honestly love my Small Standard, but the thought of one-and-a-half of it just makes my adenoids hurt.
    Shine on,
  17. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Does Trip have any albums besides on Magnatunes? I'd love to get my hands on more of his music. Incredibly inspirational stuff.
  18. Better This Way, The Difference Engine, and Dancing About Architecture are his first three albums.

from the lows,