Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by keb, Apr 23, 2005.

1. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    If you've ever driven down I-10 in the desert between California and Texas, you've seen these billboards for sure:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else here plop down the $1 to see The Thing? I have... I guess it was worth it just to say I have!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, we've stopped there to go to the bathroom and I was tempted but I didn't pay up.

So...what's "The Thing?"

brad cook

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Its not a thing even though they advertise it as such. Its a mummified Chinese woman and her baby. IIRC she died back during the railroad expansion days of the "Old West".

EDIT: BTW, sorry I ruined the mystery. ;)

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    That's pretty rough.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...glad I didn't pay to see that. It would make PT Barnum proud though.

brad cook

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"The Thing" a campy Horror flick starring James Arness(Marshall Matt Dillon(Dylan)? from "Gunsmoke")

"The Thing": That boxy VW from the early 70's.

"The Thing": by John Carpenter. Pretty scary and cool movie remake.

7. Isn't it...

Oh, wait on... I was thinking of "that Thing."

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'm just amazed I'm the first comic boook nerd to post in this thread.
    [​IMG]

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ahhh!!! You're not supposed to spill the beans! ;)

The first time I saw those billboards was in 1998, when me, my future wife, and a couple friends of ours drove from Houston to Tucson to see the Secret Chiefs 3 play at Hotel Congress. Coming and going we saw those signs and were like "Huh...?" but we didn't have time to stop and take a peek, as we were pressed for time (had to squeeze the trip into one weekend, yeah it was rough.) But a year later, we were on another, but more leisurely road trip, and we found ourselves in the same area (and stayed at the Hotel Congress again... and got the same room by pure chance.) And this time we stopped at the Thing, and paid up to see it. And we were like "Huh...?"

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    THat was part of why I didn't pay to see it. I noticed that the people coming out of it weren't even really commenting on it at all. If they'd come out saying "That was incredible!" or something and talking to each other about what they just saw I might have paid up. I figured it was probably just Route 66 style throwback kitsch. Sounds like I was right!

brad cook

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    [​IMG]

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

It has much to do with the topic, I see :p

And yeah, worry about the health of your baby? Then DONT SMOKE, B***H! :rollno:
    Some people are really stupid...

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Taco.

14. Has anyone driven down the I-95 around the Carolinas? "Only 500 miles to go!" "You never sausage a place!" I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the actual place but they have bilboards outside the state they're in. It's a Tex-Mex themed place. Someone please name the place it's gonna bug me all night. :confused:

15. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    South of the Border! :hyper:

"You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I think that's the point.

brad cook

17. i recall the south of the border signs...wow and its been like 6 years since i drove down to Florida

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks like it's marketing that actually worked :ninja: :smug:

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    The Señor Lopez-ish hoodie I am wearing at this very second was purchased at The Thing. It's like you guys are psychic. ;)