1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The tight, punchy bass tone! But...how do I get it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, May 19, 2018.

1. So it’s probably me being very analytical again, but I’m curious as how to get a really tight sounding bass tone that is really focused. I have a bass with flats, which are often agreed to be the epitome of punch, but I just want more.

On watching a video from a seemingly really intelligent guy (Amos Williams) from a band called Tesseract, he acknowledges that anything below about 200Hz is omni-directional to humans and can be muddy, so tries to cut that a lot.

Also, I read that humans can’t really hear the fundamental notes of the bass, but more-so the first harmonic. I heard this occurs around 400Hz. Would cutting all frequencies under this help?

I’m curious. I know there’s a lot of questions here, it’s poorly worded, and I really don’t know how to convey my message best. But I hope you can help offer some methods.

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Read up on the HPF thread... @Stumbo

I think bass knob dialed back, maybe dial back lower mids and up the mid and upper mids a notch. Keep in mind, the world is out to get you. You have the room, the reflective walls, floor and ceiling and even your own cab working against you. They all want to turn your punch into mud! :D

Stumbo and TheIndieKid like this.
  3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    High Pass Filter (HPF) and Low Pass Filter (LPF) Mega Thread

You don't need to read all of it to get the jest of the HPF philosophy. Feel free to post up questions there, you will not be faulted for that and Brotha Stumbo is a solid dude; he'll make sure you get the info you need and keep hacks like me in line :D

Stumbo and TheIndieKid like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    P/J bass. 300-500 watt amp. Go with vertical speakers/cabs with 4 speakers total. Add an HPF/LPF, cab sims and parametric eq to your signal chain.

Have fun dialing in your tone.

TheIndieKid likes this.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    String attack and accuracy.

Sometimes its more the player and hands.

Some people go straight in and get punch all day. Played a jazz with flats for years. Got alot of " punch" when i got a pawn shop p bass with dead rounds and pretty boring hundred watt fender into a 810.

Stumbo, TheIndieKid and SteveCS like this.
  6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I would go more than sometimes. Its funny how other string players (violin, cello, harp, guitar) spend years sounding bad whilst developing their tone, yet electric bass players seem to think they are immune to that level of work...
    Of course good gear decisions can enhance good tone, but mutton dressed as lamb is still mutton...

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Why would you need a cab sim if you have cabs you like the sound of? Not being a wise guy just asking Is this just a general suggestion or for something specific?

8. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned SUSPENDED

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    This works best on amps that are somewhat transparent (GK kinda stuff) but you should still be able to get something going on anything with a bit of fiddling.

First off - a compressor at a moderate ratio (or limiter if you're into that top end pop?) and a clean boost will be invaluable.

Dial back lows to about 9 o'clock, hit up the mids and throw in some highs and treble (around 11-1 o'clockish or to taste for each). You get less bottom and a lot more top, but its gonna get you in the 'hood of what you're shooting for. Another route is a solid sounding OD dialled in with a moderate amount of anger and a blend pedal up front, but that's also to taste.

Happy trails!