The time has come....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    So, I've been saving, and finally I have some money (my some I mean little). My parents agreed to pitch in another 200-300 for Christmas money and Im off to buy a Guitar.

My initial buy, I want a 5 string. The Ibanez BTB 405QM has been the 5 string of choice, but as of late, I played many and liked none. There is one, but its at GC (forget price, heh), its used, but I doubt I could knock it down too much from its lofty perch of $650.

I was thinking, is there any other bass in the $500 range?

Good 5 string, needs good spacing (3/4" preffered) and I want a variability in sound, preferably warm and juicy, but capable of other tones.

Any reccomendations? Thx :D
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Essex or Squire. Yamaha might also have a good five string in that price range.

Perhaps someone else will have other suggestions.

3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i've seen mtd kingston's going for around $300 on evilbay. worth a look, if you don't mind used.
  4. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I would NEVER buy a bass without trying it first.

Played too many duds :| Even of high ends. But I've considered Kingston's. Next time I go up to Bass NW Ill look into one.
  5. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Try a Dillion or an Essex (see other thread). Good build quality and finish. You can save some bucks now and change the pickups and electronocs later.
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Buy my Kingston!!!!! wink wink hint hint
  7. Yes, buy his Kingston.

They are really great basses, especially for the price. I wish I had one. :(
  8. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Pics how much, and why are you seeling it? :p
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

10. I just sold my mint condition Kingston 4 string on eBay for $305...I had it listed here, but know one was interested, It was a ok bass, but I didn't really care for it, I guess I am more of a Fender kind of guy. I didn't care for the shape of it either, Also it was very limited in the sounds/tone department....The neck was nice and the overall attention to detail was great, but had to let it go. I resently played some OLP's, both the 4 and 5er that I thought were as good as the MTD kingston...

11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    In ref. to the Guitar Center deal.....I have had pretty good luck dealing with them. Especially on gear that has been sitting on the rack for months. Walk in and tell them "I got XXX amount of money in my pocket and that's the bass I want....can u get it down to this price for me?" I've been really surprised by how much they have worked with me. Especially on stuff I remind them has been there without moving for months.