Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Toasters kick a$$

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gomez, May 6, 2005.

1. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Saw em tonight. What a treat. Anybody know them? Even bought a t-shirt.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    They have been going for such a long time.
    Great show they put on too.

They kick...where did you see them play?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've known them for a very long time. In fact, Bucket and I have been aquaintences since about 1988 or so. He put out my old band's record for us. I haven't been to a Toasters show since I 'fell out' of the 3rd wave ska scene back in 97 or so.

Who's playing in the band now? They've had a rotating line up for so long now that I can't keep track. Matt used to be such a good bass player...one of my real inspirations. Most of the lineups that I've heard in recent years have been less than I would have hoped.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They're a Wisconsin band, no? Or am I thinking of someone else?

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Definately something else. The Toasters are from NYC.

They put on a fantastic show, even as they get older. Jack Ruby replaced Coolie Ranx when he left, but when I saw them, Sledge was doing Coolie/Jack's parts. They had a young cat playing a fretless jazz that sounded soooo good!

I just checked on their website, apparently Sledge isn't playing with them right now. It's too bad, he was awesome. He had the tiniest trumpet, but it was so LOUD!

6. HeresToLife88

HeresToLife88

May 12, 2005
    The toasters are good stuff i recently also saw them. They played at Bloomfield ave cafe a while back, it was an amazing show.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know who I was thinking of? The Gadgits. I don't know why.

8. you from around jersey, specifically montclair?