1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The token lame solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WarMan, Mar 18, 2008.

1. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    I come to realize that there seems to be two types of guitar solos. One is the kind that sounds integral to the music and makes the song better. The other is the tacked on token solo that just sound like someone shredding. I hate the later type of solo. I hear them a lot in country music and they all sound the same.

Some songs with great solos include 25 or 6 to 4, Sweet Child of Mine and Layla.

The same goes for bass solos. Give me one that makes the song anyday over a shredder.

2. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    I may be in the minority here, but I really don't care for bass being played like a six string guitar. Playing up high on the fretboad and shredding like Billy Sheehan just don't do it for me.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" (obviously not a bass solo)

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    went to a blues jam & there was this guy with a sweet jazz just wankin' it up all over the place,, fills here,, over extended runs there,,, i mean WAYYY over the top... to the point that he wasn't even supporting the song... :scowl::rollno::scowl:

just because you can,, doesn't mean that you should :rollno::scowl::rollno:

5. I agree. I don't like to be wailing away on my bass too often like another gui****...

However, tasteful and well placed solos (which can tread onto the upper frets) is definitely my cup of tea.

-Paul

6. I was the bass player in the house band at a blues jam for years. Believe me brother, you are 100% right!

7. yea solos can be terrible and not fit the song, metal bands, especial ameture local ones make that mistake.

I am also not a fan of the cheesy guns n roses style solos though.

I love when they add power and another dimension to the song. Muse do amazing solos.

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    as a rule, i don't take solos. everyone else in the band does, i think i just want to be different. :D
    not a fan of the boodly-boodly solos either.