Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Tom Morello of Bass [Merged Even]

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Hello everybody,
    One of my favorite guitarists is Tom Morello of Audioslave/RATM. I like him for all the wierd sounds he can come up with his guitar and still make it sound good. Is there a bassist like this? I hear Doug Wimbish might be a match, but i have only heard about him, i never have heard any of his music. So is there a Tom Morello of bass?
    Charlie

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, check out Doug.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    in a way - Doug uses a LOT of effects, whereas I remember reading that Tom tries to get the bulk of his with just his hands and a few choice pedals. But, other than that, yeah.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's harder to do IMO, since you can't use a whammy bar (at least not as good as on guitar), and distortion doesn't work as well either.

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I tried to be in my last band. I just used Wah, Delay, and Distortion. It was a Hard Rock band so we tried to be different then the other Hard Rock Bands that played in our area. I got some pretty cool solo/intro using a Delay (set so it plays what I just played in an echo) and the distortion turned up. Then I unplugged my cord and tapped it against my bridge while moving the wah open and closed. The bass players said it sounded awsome. I stopped doing it in the band I play in now and just hold the groove,but my vote goes to Doug also.

6. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I agree - the lines that Doug plays are insane. I'm just pointing out that there is a slight difference between the two, that's all.

7. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Tom Morello eh... :rolleyes: I think it would be far more interesting to find the Allan Holdsworth of bass, but I guess that will never happen.

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    OK....Thanks for contributing....com back soon. :D :rolleyes:

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    doug wimbish makes some messed up noise. and hes a mean player without them to boot.

justin chancellor does some cool whammy stuff, obviously not as crazy as doug but i give hime some credit too.

10. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    the guy from lightning bolt, ofcourse

11. Lightning Bolt?

Charlie

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think in many ways claypool is like morello, they both incorporate many, unorthodox methods, and create a controlled chaos type sound.

13. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    ^ I agree, ever listin to "hamburger train" by Primus? That song is very very odd, he makes a lot of strange sounds out of the bass.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Also on the DVD that recently came out, Les has a showdown with a DJ and he uses his fretless to get some DJ esque sounds, which is pretty much Morello's whole bit, wanting to be the DJ for Rage.

Claypool also as of late heavily uses effects in his live shows, but it seems to fit in more with the hippy jam band circut instead of Tom Morelloish.

15. wat dvd are u talking about that has "Les has a showdown with a Dj with a fretless" i have the new primus dvd/ep .in the videoplast(sp?) he messes with the dj during tommy the cat on a fretted fender jazz.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's not Videoplasty, it's the dvd/ep Animals should not try to act like people...

Uhm, I think it might be in Cheesy Home Video... yeah I'm pretty sure that's where it's at.

17. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    Claypool has been more about technique than effects though (in comparison to morello). Alot of times what morello does is finds wild sounds, that can really only be used that one time, while les uses techniques that can be used in multiple songs. the primus song featuring morello is nasty though "momma didnt raise no fool". they're a pretty sweet combo.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If you want to hear the craziest sounds to ever come out of a bass guitar you need to hear these guys = wwww.jfjo.com I bet you won't even be able to tell who is "playing" the bass! I think there was a Reed Mathis thread somewhere else - Wimbish does his thing and its alright, just not as innovative as this guy. He uses a slew of effects in the most unique way I've ever seen - or heard. He's maybe a little more like the Jimi Hendrix of bass than Tom Morello.

19. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Ker-azey bass/drums noise-rock duo.

www.laserbeast.com

check em' out. It's pretty danged cool.

20. primus had a song featuring morello? whats it called?