Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The tonal center once again

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by adisu, Apr 27, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hello mike
    I was reading the thread about improvising over change in the chords and thats was the first time i bumped into the "tonal center" thing.
    I did a search in your forum and read the threads that was connected to this issue, still i would like to get into details with this issue.
    Can you recommend me a good book that will give me all the knowledge i need in order to make a tonal center analysis even to complexed jazz standards??
    (One of yours if you have one that focus on the tonal center and gives a deep view of this issue)

It'll Better if you know one that distribute the book in israel because with all this internet orders eventually i'm gonna' end up as a broke bum on the street (sometime those shipping payments cost more then the product itself :D :D :D )

Till i get a good book and will be able to answer it myself i have a question that was on my mind when i read one thread that was including a simple tonal center issue.
    In this thread you gave an example of the chord progress :
    G, D, C, G if i remember right you said that this is in G major key because it's i ,iV ,V .
    Now my question is if i'm improvising a solo on G major scale i can be playing F# (as part of the solo) while the guitar or piano plays the C chord.
    It would ceate a triton between the root of the chord and my F# and also half tone between the 5th of C chord (G) and the F# , Is it O.k. ?? I'm sure i'm missing something here,what is it???

Thanks in advance
    Adi.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Arguable, the best book on Jazz Theory is Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book, which is availalbe at www.bassbooks.com.

Every bass line, solo, melody lines, etc is made up of three notes, Chord Tones, Scale Tones and Chromatic Tones (passing tones, approach notes). The three kinds of notes are listed in order of priority. The F# over the C chord is a scale tone and will work fine if you are moving through it, on your way to a more important note (ie, G or E). The F# is not a note, however, that you would want to hold over the C chord. I hope this helps.

BTW, if you want to hear something really bad, try holding a F natural ove a C chord (that 1/2 step between the E and F is really bad)

Mike

3. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks man!!!!
    Got It :) :cool: :)

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You're very welcome