1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Tone Hammer...my entire rig fits in a bag!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 18, 2009.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yep, I'm happy as s**t from a discovery I made at a gig on Friday night. The DI on my GK 1001-RBII sounded like garbage, probably from me dropping it-oops. I've never had a problem with it before, but regardless-I needed an acceptable DI immediately. I already had my Tone Hammer in the effects loop for eq and overdrive, so I figured to see if that DI would be quieter and diagnose the problem. Sure enough, the Aguilar's DI was totally silent...problem solved.

I went the rest of Friday and all of last night WITHOUT AN AMP OR CAB. I have in-ear monitors, so my rig now fits in a duffle bag!! Plus, the Hammer's eq sounds sooo good and undistored (mids are fantastic). I did add a bit of overdrive (the AGS) and it's one of the best tones I've ever had, and certainly the simplest setup.

I just need to get a backup DI to what was my backup DI, and I'm set! Booyah!!

:hyper:

2. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    One good Tone Hammer deserves another :)

3. Excellent, those tone hammers are good kit.

Last night, I ran amp-free...I used my Zoom B2.1u with a Behringer TO800 in front (kicked in for the more rockin' tunes)...
    DI from the Zoom to the F.O.H...we have a sub on stage just for bass and kick drum, so the bottom end was there and the rest came through the floor monitors...I had NO problem hearing myself...

I never rely on my amp for the sound, anyway...it's always been DI to F.O.H. for that...

4. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    A little off subject but in ear monitors? Those would be great for my drummer. some gigs it's hard to place my rig behind him and he has troubles hearing me, in ear monitors maybe all we need, where can I get some? What's a good price?

5. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    yeah...off topic. many good kinds are available. do a quick search. they're good for sound isolation live. make sure you at least get a pair with dual drivers...

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I bet that feels great. I'd rock a Tone Hammer with my pedalboard only. that sounds interesting

7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ohulahan, check out Ultimate Ears, or their more "affordable" sister ears from M-Audio. I have the M-Audio IE-40's, which have three drivers-one for highs, mids, and lows. Their about as high-end as you can get without going to a set with customized ear molds.

Ultimate makes those, but they're stupidly pricey. Ultimate's equivalent is the Triple-Fi ears, I think....

Anyway, the IE-40's alone will set you back about 3-400 bucks. You still need the wireless monitor system to go with it (transmitter and receiver). Mine's a Sennheiser EWgIEM300 or something like that. There are lots of frequencies to choose from on the system, so intereference is very minimal. It's a pricey investment, but WELL worth it!

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Oh, and one more thing, guys-I just worked on a crushing picked overdriven tone tonight and IT BLOWS A SANSAMP BASS DRIVER AWAY. I sounds so funky and punchy with my fingers as well.

I'm all smiles! :D

9. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas

i think the quality of the ultimate ears have plunged since being sold out to creative. and out came out even more consumerism ipod in-ears. my older fi-3 studios retained the low end quite well. that was ofcourse till i bought my westone um-2! amazing clarity. heck, half the time im in the studio i mix with them too.

plus one for the tone hammer. cutting down my setup, and took awhile to get around to decide if i want to get rid of my tone hammer. and no.it stays around. i don't even think it needs a back up. that thing is a tank!