The tone of a Ritter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Aug 10, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Could some Ritter owners please give a me description of the tone that their bass has! They are possibly the most beautiful basses in existance! But what Do they sound like? I'm assuming that it's (looking at the pick ups) a very defined sound, with precise treble, lush mids and very round bass (yes, that's a big assumption!).
  2. you cannot describe the tone of "a" Ritter because it always depends on what kind of bass you want Jens to build!

You can get everything you want and of course it always depends on the wood, the electronics, fretless or with frets etc. etc.

so the best way to find out what bass you need is to tell Jens what kind of music you make, what you want the tone to sound like etc. and he will do that for you!

That's called CUSTOM BASS BUILDING!

Stefan Okon
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    There are a bunch of tones in your standard two triplebucker, active eq Ritter. To oversimplify, it does variations of a Musicman and variations of a Jazz with more of a hi-fi sound (by that I mean, lower natural lows and higher natural highs, not a "squished" sound). Plenty of mids in humbucker mode, less so in single coil mode (of course the three band preamp with sweepable mids can change that). The pickup selectors allows single or humbucker operation for each pickup, plus blend between them. The usual differences between blending toward bridge vs towards the neck apply here; bridge adds growl, neck adds warmth. Generally though...very defined, clear, but warm. Surprisingly my Ritter is not super loud; my other basses need to go in the padded input of my preamp to keep levels similar. Very even between strings and up and down the fingerboard. Fingerstyle sounds great. Chords sound great. Slapping and tapping sounds great. As you can guess, it's my favorite bass out there.

I don't know if this's hard (for me) to describe sound.

4. Good description !

weeding :

i hope that we'll have some videos from the GTG. :)
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    It is the sound of the high elves farting out butterflies that smell like lemons :D