1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Tonewood Debate - Finally Solved?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smtp4me, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Stumbled upon this video and thought I would post the link, and grab some popcorn.

BrBss and Michael Schreiber like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have two apples. One granny smith and one gala. The granny smith has a mushy spot. Therefore, all granny smith apples have mushy spots. This is true in a world where sample sizes don't matter.

3. I think the color affects the sound! A TORT pick guard will improve the sound of any guitar!

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Well er, um, i got nuthin'.

5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    that guy is a legitimate riffmeister, and legendary among guitarists for his speaker shootout. i will be back later to check thisout.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    42-17363909.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nope. No popcorn. No solution.

:D

BlueAliceOasis, Leiria and bassdude51 like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    This is one of those TB topics that will never convince adherents or sceptics about Tonewood one way or the other if it contradicts previously held and long treasured beliefs. I had a conversation the other day with a really sweet woman who sincerely believes the world is only 8,000 years old, and that Dinosaur bones were placed in the ground by God to test the faith of Archaeologists. No amount of scientific evidence will convince her otherwise, she got no arguments from me. People can believe whatever they want or need to believe. I happen to believe that the neck wood has some influence on tone, the body wood less so, but I have no interest in proving it to somebody else. FWIW, the maple body sounded a little brighter through my headphones.

steubig, Zane DeBord, RickyT and 6 others like this.
  9. I heard a difference between all three. Some riffs sounded almost identical where others where noticeably different sounding.

TinIndian, Leiria, ihixulu and 4 others like this.
  10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Just like an electric guitar.

Zane DeBord likes this.
  11. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    No contest, everybody knows that plywood sounds the best. But seriously I think the wood makes a difference in the tone of a bass, sustain, clarity etc. I thought the mahogany sounded best for chords, was more middy, mellow sounding, maple was brighter and Fir kind of tinny sounding, all in all I liked the mahogany the best. I usually like Gibson guitars the best. Les Pauls are my favorite sounding guitar and I assume they are mostly mahogany.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Not on this forum. No. way. in. hell. - As long as there's bass owners that can't hear the difference between a minor and major third but CAN hear the difference between Pau Ferro and Dalbergia Negra, the debates will continue.

13. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, of course all guitars sound the same! He needs to redo this test with basses!

design, alesreaper9 and Pbassmanca like this.
  14. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Wood matters. It doesn't always matter in the same way. Better is subjective.

15. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en In Loving Memory of when I gave a S*** Supporting Member

I can't watch more than 30 seconds of this with that guys big toe waving around threatening me like that. :eek:

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This topic is just another excuse to avoid practicing. Want better tone? Focus less on wood - and more on woodshed. ;)

17. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    IF you can hear the difference then you're not using enough fuzz.

18. not the best example of one of these videos. Too much variation in his playing. Attack and precision matter much more to your sound than wood does.

Still, like every other A/B comparison video on tonewoods I've seen, I definitely hear a slight difference between mahogany and maple.

19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    One of the problems with being an engineer is that, no matter what the item in question is, you know that the answer to "Does .... affect the ....?" is always YES. No matter how minutely, how barely measurable by the best science, everything affects everything else. Period. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies, too... Which is why the Great Tone Wood Swamp is a place I have no, none, not any desire to wade around in... It's ultimately pointless, and can give you a bad case of foot fungus, too...:whistle:

20. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    As James Hetfield once said... "Sad but true"...Jajajaja.... Ouch....