1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "Too Much Bass" Guitar Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by plangentmusic, Oct 21, 2010.

1. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Just put up this video up from my solo album.

This is the collection from which I asked if one of the songs had the bass mixed too loud. The split was 50/50 -- and that's bassplayers! I think it's just right. : )

Totally over the top, I know -- but it's hard to look away. (You'll know what I mean soon enough).

Any and all feedback is welcome.

2. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    I like what I'm hearing! I got into surf rock because of Dick Dale's "Miserlou" on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. Got a handful of his records, then found Man or Astro-Man? and Los Straitjackets.

3. Yeah because of the bass tone, it is too loud for the mix. If it were a more-authentic-to-the-genre bass tone, the volume might be OK. But the way it is now makes the bass sound tacked on and out of place, almost like someone jamming on their bass in their bedroom over someone elses song playing in the background, like a lot of those YouTube videos people make of themselves doing just that to display their instrumental prowess.

I'm a long-time fan of this sort of music, by the way. Cool stuuf!

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Well, on those original recordings the bass is barely audible. And I was going for a more modern interpretation.

It certainly wasn't an ego thing, since I'm playing all the instruments but I do like the idea of having the bass stand out without being too bottom heavy, so I guess I can see how one may think it sticks out a bit. But jamming in my bedroom to a song in the background?! lol!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

5. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Hearing this makes me wish it was warmer out and that I was at the beach :(

6. I need to get up, but I'm going to let things cool down a bit.

The music was good too.

7. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds right to me!

8. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEURRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:D

9. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Seriously though, sound sweet like it is to me. Nice job!

10. It's a bit too loud in my opinion.

11. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Geez, come on guys, the bass is very obviously too loud and/or doesn't quite sit well in the mix. To say otherwise is just silly. Rather then dropping/re-eq'ing the bass, my preference would be to maybe bring the drums up a notch?

Besides that, it all sounds great - especially the bass playing! This mix makes me want to pick up my bass learn the lines/play along.

As fun comparison, Agent Orange's renditions (wait, bass is similarly prominent!):

12. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    After listening to Agent Orange I may remix the bass LOUDER! : )

13. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    By the way, I just posted a shorter version of the vid. Different sections of the songs. And different girls. : )

SURF BASS LIVES!!! : )

If you'd like to check it out, here it is. Thanks.