The TOOL Bassists Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Petary791, Jun 29, 2005.

Who prevails?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2005.
  1. Paul D'Amour (Opiate, Undertow)

10 vote(s)
  2. Justin Chancellor (Ænima, Lateralus)

38 vote(s)
  3. Las Zanahorias

6 vote(s)
  1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So who do you think prevails? I used to swear by Justin, but Paul is growing on me. Undertow is just so good. In my opinion, it seems like when Paul was in the band, they were more of a punk band and with Justin they're more of a metal band. Agreed?

And what do you think of Paul's tone? That's intense... Rickenbacher + pick... :eyebrow:
  2. Agreed... I like metal, not punk. In my book, punk = poop. Punk sucks to me, and is no better than rap... And rap sucks golfballs through garden hoses...

Chancellor wins my vote hands down.

3. I think Chancellor is by far, the superior bassist. The man has laid down some of the catchiest riffs in the last decade.

However, I'm very much a big fan of Paul's tone. bright enough to stand out, but still deep enough to be a bass.
  4. Both Paul and Justin are solid players, and I enjoy listening to them-- they both added different things to the music. Personally, I'm more inclined to appreciate Justin's playing-- he's more articulate, by which I mean that he uses a cleaner tone with more midrange growl that tends to cut through the mix, so I can hear him more clearly than I can Paul. Which makes him easier to pick out, and thus easier to learn from.
  5. paul to me was a guitarist playing bass(which he was), justin seems to be a bassist playing bass(which he is.)
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

?!?!?!??!!? :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :crying: :confused: :spit: :mad: :scowl: ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

They have never been anywhere close to punk... or metal in my opinion. Have you ever heard a punk song before?

Justin has very thin weak tone, which I don't enjoy at all, and you can always hear his pick scraping against the strings *shudder* Paul had heavy tone, and the first two albums were the closest they ever got to being metal really.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No i've never heard a punk song, i'm just a Rancid fan. :rolleyes:
  8. I think their earlier stuff is more like punk because the songwriting is quite simplistic and energetic, while the later stuff (Aenima and Lateralus) is more progressive and dynamic.
  9. This oughta be good.....

10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There we go. That is a much better explanation.
  11. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the earlier stuff, imo, is much...darker. the later stuff is still dark, yes, but more expiremental.

paul is a fantastic musician and bass player. he was very agressive with his bass and his tone was sweet man. that hes just a cool dude, so i hear.

justin a little more...technical? either way just as good sounding as paul. and again i hear a really nice guy.

personally i think aenima owns them all. take into account, yes justin tracked it, but of those songs paul helped write. so who knows. i take one with the other. both massive influences on me.

pauls post tool projects are sweet too. and if you listen to justin in peach he is no more complex than paul was in teh early days of tool. that and most everything he does in standard, not the drop-d we know of him today.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So... I guess you've never heard a punk song before then... Ok.

Just because music is simple/energetic doesn't make it a punk song.
  13. I'd have to say whoever played Cold and Ugly and Jerk-off, I think they where on Opiate, so i think it was Paul I loved the tone in those songs, so much power. I love the little bass solo bit in Cold and Ugly, 'tis sweetness. I loved the line in Hush also, I have also noticed that Justin uses alot of effects, too much IMHO. It ruins some of the songs IMO. Paul used effects sometimes also, but he played alot more in the lower ranges than Justin did, it made the songs better for me. Paul all the personally, Technical mumbo jumbo is nothing if it isnt bassy, which I find at least 70% of Justins stuff isn't. Plus I love Rickenbackers.

Paul for me :bassist:
  14. Kind of off topic I know, but has anyone heard the song alone by Creed and Tool? There is no bass but it is still a rreally good song.

Sorry for the off topic post.
  15. Not sure if ur joking or not, but Tool probably would never be apart of such a song with creed. They always give them ****. Plus a song without bass? Lol. J/K.

Definitly Justin for me, he has the better tone. Cool stage presence aswell, just stands there.
    Any1 no anything about the new album, i hate having to wait 5 years between albums.
  16. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    For real. Creed is a joke... and even more of a joke without bass.

So on stage, JC just stands there? I gotta see it. :D You know, waiting 5 years sucks, but look what they did in between AEnima and Lateralus. Lateralus is a masterpiece. Check out the holy gift of Lateralus too.
  17. Yea, ur definitly rite, lateralus was an amazing album. I have also rearanged the tracks on lateralus so i could experience the holy gift, some of the changes are amazing, any1 who hasn't heard it or heard about it should try it, it'll blow ur mind.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not to derail this thread but could somone please explain to me the appeal of Lateralus? I know it's hard to explain to someone why you like music, more than likely the answer is "I just do." But I listened to the first 5 tracks and I just shut it off, it felt like track one was on repeat five times.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not trying to be a jerk... they are like the biggest rock band going and everyone seems to like them... I don't mind Aenima, and the first two are good solid rock albums... but In my opinion Lateralus was pretty awful. I think the main reason I find them repetitious is due to Adam Jones' guitar playing and Maynard's vocals. They seem to have sounded the same since they got "artsy"
  19. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    For the first time I agree with you Matt :) (not that you care, or it matters). To me - first two were my favorite too, they have balls! when they got to Aenima they had all kinds of room to do what they (uuhhhmmm…Maynard) wanted…due to PAID$$$, and the leverage they had with the industry after Undertow, which was a story telling in-and-out of songs type of cd’s where you have a intro then a song, then another intro song, then a real song…to me that lost me, I made my own copies of those last two with out the b.s. so I wouldn’t have to forward through them. People will embrace most anything now from them because they have made a name for themselves and people think they are ‘cool’ . But the first two CD’s being punk – what is that, doesn’t even come close. That type of energy is more on the verge of hardcore to me.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Shhh... TV is talking...