1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The toughest Beatles song to learn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Darkhorse1962, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Definitely will have to give Nowhere Man another listen after the multiple mentions here.

I've never had much difficulty learning Beatles songs after a bit of practice, except for the following:

Toughest Beatles songs? (IMO):
    I saw her standing there (although I believe it would be much easier with a short scale)

Twist & shout
    Revolution

Something (this one is so melodic, I've never attempted to learn it, I've heard the isolated track several times and believe it's still above my skill set)

Two of us (similar to Something, very melodic, but this is one of my favourite Beatles songs)

I found that that one pretty easy, it flows really well. The only mildly difficult part is the second verse.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yup, pretty easy on a short scale. Or you could use a full scale 5 string and play up the neck and pretend you're not playing a less-than-short-scale :p.

3. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Technically, "Two of Us" is the easiest bass part to learn - because there is no bass on the song. What sounds like a bass line is George playing a Telecaster. Now learning to play that part correctly can by tricky, as I found when I learned it for a Beatles gig.

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Actually I thought that was the guitar-bass effect that George used. The same thing John played on "Long and Winding Road".

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Hmmm. That must be what I hear then.

I was sure there's a clip of John & Paul rehearsing Two of Us in the Let it Be movie and he's playing his Höfner... might have to rewatch that, it's been awhile.

6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I think it's cool that George or John could play a simple bass line when Paul couldn't. Whether it was a different instrument than usual, it was cool how all the band would play together. Rather than Paul just recording his own overdub.

7. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    In the Let It Be movie you can see them perform the very take that was used on the album. John and Paul are playing acoustics. George is playing a rosewood Telecaster guitar.

John played a Fender Bass VI on "The Long and Winding Road."

Edit: Found a clip...

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's in the movie, but later in the movie you see them perform the take used on the album. All guitars, no bass.

9. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    In some cases one of the others originally played bass but Paul later replaced it with his own part. Examples: "Paperback Writer" (George), "Let It Be" (John).

10. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Certainly makes you appreciate Paul huh? Lovely Rita is one of my all time favorites and pretty tricky.

11. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I think Helter Skelter is difficult to play. It may be because it seems so sloppy, and seems to function between a rhythm guitar and bass. Also, the tone! Every time I play that song I feel off for not having that tone.

OldDog52 likes this.
  12. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    She doesn't have a lot to say

zontar likes this.
  13. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I liked it!

Jeff Scott likes this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Just talked to our BL tonight. Looks like we're doing This Boy...which means I'll be singing the middle part and trying to play bass too...oy!

15. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011

biguglyman likes this.
  16. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I’d rate that specific live performance of This Boy as “acceptable” but not spectacular. There’s your baseline. ;)

OTOH That harmonies coach guy knows his ****.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My old band, the one that did a bunch of Beatles songs, decided to drop "This Boy" (after learning it) as it was really much earlier in style than the range of songs in out list (mid 60s to current).

18. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Interesting bass tone on that one - over-the-top overdriven (B15?).

Actually interesting that before Hendrix it was common to have clean guitars and super crunchy bass :bassist:.

Groove Doctor and juancaminos like this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

ElectroVibe likes this.
  20. The best way to get the middle harmony part is to watch the movie and listen for when Ringo does his walkabout. There's an instrumental version of the song that plays and they use the middle harmony as the melody. It gives it a more mournful sound, but it's what you're looking for.

OldDog52 likes this.