1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The toughest Beatles song to learn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Darkhorse1962, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Nice job on the vocals. But I was waiting to hear the crystalline guitar tone at the end.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    At tonight's rehearsal we did a couple new to us, "Rock & Roll Music" and "Ballad of John and Yoko" - a couple of fairly easy ones that rock pretty good. That particular band is gettin' out-of-control, 85 songs on our list now and adding 2 or 3 a month still :wideyed:. Other Beatles songs we do:
    Back in the USSR
    Birthday (This is a tougher one IMO)
    Day Tripper (This is a tougher one IMO)
    Eight Days a Week
    Hard Day's Night
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Nowhere Man (I presently fake this one over the chords :( but it sounds OK)

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Among the many Beatles songs we did, we also did some Wings songs:

Here are most of the Beatles songs we did:

Birthday
    Day Tripper
    Get Back
    Let it Be-Hey Jude
    Paperback Writer
    Revolution
    This Boy
    Ticket To Ride
    Two of Us
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

And these related songs:

The Beatnix: Stairway to Heaven

Ringo Starr: It Don't Come Easy

zontar and RoadRanger like this.
  4. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    What?
    No Rutles?

nixdad and GregC like this.
  5. Ikons2

Ikons2

Mar 15, 2018
    The hardest thing about playing Beatles bass lines is the 432 hz tuning! Always have to tune my bass down slightly to play along with most of their recordings.

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Tony Bacon & Gareth Morgan wrote a book called Paul McCartney: Playing the Great Beatles Basslines. It does a deep dive into nine songs with transcriptions and analyses.
    • Drive My Car
    • In My Life
    • The Word
    • You Won't See Me
    • Rain
    • Taxman
    • I'm Only Sleeping
    • Lovely Rita
    • Dear Prudence
    Great learning tool, but the most interesting point (for me) was this: the most intricate, complex Beatles basslines are usually on songs that where the lead singer was John Lennon. Paul McCartney is a master at playing and singing simultaneously, but these examples suggest even the great one has limits where you'll get better results on bass when producing vocals aren't a distraction.

biguglyman and nixdad like this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    No, but we did consider this band's songs.

The Whootles!.

nixdad and zontar like this.
  8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    "Drive My Car" is one of my favorite bass songs, though I don't know how difficult it is.

nixdad likes this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nowhere Man is one of my favorites. I wish the bass was mixed louder, but here is a live video of my band performing it from a few years ago:

I learned it decades ago, but went back and re-learned after this video was taken. I/m fortunate that we have plenty of vocalists so I don't have to sing (which is a good thing.)

biguglyman, IamGroot and ElectroVibe like this.
  10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    This is cool, I think I've watched some of your band's videos before.

nixdad likes this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I owned the White Book with all the Beatles transcriptions. Reading the fine print ruined my eyes.

nixdad likes this.
  12. It's not hard, but it's not really a bass line, either. It's a bass solo posing as a bass line. And it's fun and it's beautiful. It's the best example of why Paul McCartney was not just a very good bassist, but a great musician.

GregC and nixdad like this.
  13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Unfortunately, I'm not that fortunate...I usually get stuck with the George middle part.

nixdad likes this.
  14. I’m sorry. I like the Beatles. I innately respect and admire their HUGE contribution to music the world over. However - the music is not difficult to play. That doesn’t mean it’s not great - because it is - but it’s not difficult for a bassist of even moderate proficiency ( me, on a good day)

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Every guitarist, drummer or bass player I have been in a band with who has said this disappoints me greatly when we cover a Beatles song. Their music is easy to play yes; difficult to play and sound good, however.

Groove Doctor and nixdad like this.
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you!

17. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Harrison said that he disliked the ultra-busy line that McCartney played on Something. Notice that McCartney's bass parts on his own slow ballads are always very simple.

nixdad and IamGroot like this.
  18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    It's a tour 'd force of McCartney. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, runs of various lengths, slides, some shredding (before there even was shredding), some 10 fret per second glissandos, and lots of other cool things.

I only got so close...

19. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    IamGroot and nixdad like this.
  20. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    nixdad and mikewalker like this.