1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The toughest Beatles song to learn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Darkhorse1962, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    It is why I use the transcription.....I have a hard time just learning one bass part.....lol!

nixdad likes this.
  2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    When Paul plays it live he just hits the root notes, which may have also been his part on the record.

The "back in the U.S., back in the U.S., back in the U.S.S.R." bit after the second chorus is Lennon on the Fender VI bass. Paul's band plays that part on guitars and it's noticeably different than the record.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    nixdad and mikewalker like this.
  3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amen. Your description nailed it. Not to mention that many of his techniques can only be simulated accurately when playing with a pick.

4. George hated it, and never let the bass players in his bands play Paul's lines when he would perform the song live after the Beatles broke up.

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Keeping in mind this was probably improvised, at 2AM, while he was baked.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
  7. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    Yes! The newer editions are slightly larger but full size sheet music would be very helpful on the eyes for sure.

8. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    It is fun bass line to play. I didn't know that George was not fond of the Macca bass part. The dynamics of musicians in a group.

9. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    It would probably be a four book set because of the large print. Fine by me if they did that.

10. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    I enjoy playing the bass line as well and like you wished the bass was mixed louder. I don't sing. The audience would run away!

nixdad likes this.
  11. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    In addition to my classic rock cover band, I gig with an acoustic trio. Had to learn elanor rigby, and she's leaving home. There are no "bass parts" on those. For me having to invent a part is more of a pain than learning a part that already exsists. Having said that, some of Sir Paul's bass lines are a bitch to learn, highly respect him.

nixdad likes this.
  12. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    Yes! I find myself having to do that alot playing at church working off of chord charts. Macca's bass lines are challenging...with all the little stuff...pull offs, hammers, slides, etc. I respect him as well. "Silly Love Songs" with its bass line is much more complex when you take a good look at. I got the music from Bass Mag. There is the standard songbook version bass line and then there is the Sir Paul bass line. It is difficult to play it the way he does.

Groove Doctor and nixdad like this.
  13. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Hi, I've been enjoying the discussion in this thread. Could you guys tell me the best book of transribed bass lines of the Beatles other than the complete score book?

z

14. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    I don't know of any other book. There are a few websites that have transcriptions for some Fab Four songs. However, the complete score book is the best I have found. The newer edition is a little larger page wise.

zbigniew likes this.
  15. When the Beatles Rock Band game came out there were some clever dudes who were able to pull the isolated tracks for all the Beatles songs basically from Revolver on. You can listen to each instrument by itself or the vocals by themselves. Fascinating stuff.
    Fortunately I grabbed copies of all of those before the Blue Meanies arrived. You want to know what Paul was playing on a song, no better teacher then listening to Paul play it with no other distractions.

16. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    I have used many an isolated bass track to pick out what Paul and other notables did on a song. Paul really had a intonation problem on that Hofner violin bass as you can hear on songs like Something. My Hofner is the same way especially on the low E. It is fascinating stuff for sure!:smug: