1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Travelling Wilburys

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowenduser, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Oh the memories!! I remember this band back in 1988 when they came out, bought the cassette and promptly played it till it wore out. Throughout the 90s I went searching for it and coudn't find any of their three albums (I was looking for volume I, but anything would have done - I think I heard subsequently heard there was rights issues abit it's re-release that delayed it).

Anyway, whey ho, I found volume I and volume III have been re-released this weekend, and promptly went out and bought it.... sweet memories.

For those of you that are perhaps too young to remember, check the band out. Bon Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty who got together and recorded an album in one of their houses over a ten day period. Probbaly best remembered for "End of The Line" and "Handle Me WIth Care".

My personal memory: First time asking what kind of bass Tom Petty was playing. An older cousin/musician introdcuded me to the word: Rickenbacker

2. todegard

todegard Bassist

Sep 24, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I know he plays Rickenbacker guitars, but I believe he played a Danelectro Longhorn bass with the Wilburys.

Tommy

3. Yah - it's a Danelectro Longhorn in End of the Line vid. Thought it was a Rik in Handle me with care? (note to self: youtube it later!!) None the less, it's great to see these songs back and available to buy without spending huge amounts online!

4. todegard

todegard Bassist

Sep 24, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes. In fact, I've just ordered the cd today. Great music.

Tommy

5. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    And there is no "Vol. 2". Never was. Just 1 & 3. Weird sense of humor...

6. yeh, weird. I always assumed there was some obscure "middle" album but was obviously some weird sense of humour as you say! lol

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    guess i'm showing my age: i only know of them because jenny lewis covered "handle me with care" on her solo cd. :oops:

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Good stuff.

9. love those guys! nothing like a bunch of old, worn out rockers to bring you to tears of melancholy.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021