1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Triumphant Return (and Sweet Revenge?) of Michael Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TimWilson, Apr 2, 2009.

1. there's a podcast interview with Chickenfoot sans Chad Smith here-
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/chickenfoot-world-exclusive-podcast-interview-201756

quite funny guys.
    "I heard there were no plans for the Chillis?"
    Mike A; "that's good to hear"

over on the VHlinks forum they reckon the quip about Chad Smith being absent to attend the birth of his kid might be a dig at the Van Halens insisting Anthony miss the birth of his first daughter to tour with VH.....

2. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, Chickenfoot has some good music. Their MySpace has some of the songs.

The thing is, with MA's backing vocals at times they sound a bit early Van Halenish, which is not a bad thing. :)

3. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Well I just gotta so that I'm very excited about this......

TOMMY LIKEY !!!!!!!! :hyper:

4. AHOY!

MA is the man - Great Vocals! He handled LEAD Vox for 5 straight tunes @ Nissan Pavillion Bristow, VA when Gary Cherone fired a Mic Stand in the air just as the lights went out. What goes up must come down, and so did Cherone. Out cold on the stage. 5 tunes later he returned to finish the show albeilt wearing a bandana on his head. I dunno if that was staged but it looked real from the 2nd row. MA kicks some serous ass. MEANSTREET is a classic example. I Hope CF does some serious damage, VH is finished w/o MA imo.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. you know working with those guysis going to be way better than working for the drunk prima donna.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Chad Smith is 10 times the drummer Alex VH ever was... even in his prime.

MA has to be in hog heaven playing with him.

7. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    A BIG Amen to that !!!!!!!! :)

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Very cool news, indeed!

9. Sounds (from these first releases) like they've already addressed one ongoing gripe of ours: You can really hear Mike's BASS in these mixes! Surprise surprise! And whaddaya know: It doesn't take a dang THING away from the precious guitars... I guess you CAN have amazing guitars along with great bass mix. Someone tell Eddie. Or don't. Who cares anymore... :hyper:

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And slammin' drum sounds. And still hear the vocals. Exhibit A: Blood Sugar Sex Magic which Chad Smith would know a little about.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Maybe Hagar can now strap on a guitar as well since Joe doesn't mind sharing guitar duties like Eddie and Ronnie Montrose apparently did.

12. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    I've always thought that was the greatest missed opportunity when Hagar was in VH. Instead of kicking the guitar heroics into an even higher level, they instead kept the keyboards in and sanitized the tone. In my youth, I didn't realize that it was ego playing the major part here. I always thought it was just about making music (I'm old enough now to know better).

13. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think Van Halen missed the boat by not including Michael in the reunion, they could have done the tour then parted ways. I think Eddie is his own worst enemy anymore, but we all know that. The backing vocals on Chickenfoot is one of the best things I have heard in years. A band in just that, a band, not one person. Can't wait for the tour in the fall, small theaters I heard.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that'd be sweet.

15. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Can't wait to see a tour Schedule!!! I hope they come close to NE..

16. I hope they come to Texas! :D

Living well is the best revenge.

17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Wow... this is really good stuff. I love the sound of Satch's guitar.

18. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    A wise man once said "what is understood doesn't need to be discussed".

With that said I think that Chickenfoot will only raise the bar which was set by the Van Halen band in the early 80's by both SH and DLR

I agree VH is through and I am really okay with that. Say what you want about VH III which I personally like. It is the last truly new music we will probably every hear from the VH brothers.

Chickenfoot...bring it on I so desperately need to hear real rock and roll again.

19. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I so agree with this statement (this is a a bass players forum after all :)).

Mike is the consummate professional and I so look forward to seeing him get his props on this project and tour. Geeze I am stoked!