1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The True Meaning of 190db : Lowering The Volume of Humor in "Amps"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chaosMK, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I guess you can't joke around on TB anymore. What's up with the mod hammer these days? I've noticed it in all the forums "uh oh... this topic sounds like it's bound for Bass Humor."

My thread got the cut because the mods thought the discussion of a hypothetical metal amp with an output comparable to a small earthquake or nuclear weapon might damage people's hearing.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/how-get-190db-metal-838488/

With all of that said, internet punking and metal cliche's aside, I thought this was a pretty interesting chart on the real world experience of sound pressure/decibel levels:

http://www.makeitlouder.com/Decibel Level Chart.txt

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I think your original post was misplaced, should've been in this forum... might have survived. Sometimes the mod's editorial actions can seem Draconian at times, but, ultimately, thier judgement/decision is final. To question it can only lead to grief and heartache.

Having said that, Hearing loss is a very serious matter (to those who have it, anyway). Many folks dont even think a 190dB metal amp is funny. The Decibel chart was interesting, tho.

Amazed to learn that normal conversation is 60 dB and hearing damage occurs at only 85 dB. That really puts things into perspective.

3. I have found the folks in the amp forum to be very stuffily technically correct and tend to pounce on subjective, figurative or snide remarks let alone anything approaching humor.

4. Negro_Negus

Negro_Negus

Dec 29, 2011
    Lansing, MI
    King of Kings
    The day the internet is run by "cops" is when things are really over. I understand the OP's frustration, even though his (/her) approach might border on the "troll" :p

In a pretty popular/active forum like this one, things usually manage themselves. If something ridiculous is posted usually the community responds back and irrelevant threads are naturally buried by the stuff people care to talk about.

Maybe the thread wouldn't have been closed if your "goal" was more like:

114-107 A VERY LARGE, POWERFUL PORTABLE RADIO REF.1.1982

Most amps we talk about here can damage hearing! It's almost a given if you are in a rocking band.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i like the mod's reason, that "190 will destroy your hearing and anyone else subjected to it."

yeah, 20,000 lbs of TNT might tend to do that :rolleyes:

6. That's only if you're talking to a woman... :bag:

Randy