Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the true wattage of new Ampegs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Out of curiosity, has anyone plugged a scope into any of the new Ampegs (3-pro, 4-pro, etc) to find their true power ratings?

I'm just interested in whether Ampeg really do inflate their specs on paper or whether it's something else.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well, I dont know if they actually inflate their specs, but they do feed us the wrong ones.

Take the SVT-4PRO for example. You get one of those Guitar Center ads in the mail that show whats on sale this month in the store. You flip to the bass amp section and find an SVT-4 for $1299. It says something to the effect of, "The big gun! 1600 watts of bass power!"

This is not the actual 4 ohms bridged continuous power. This is some sort of peak rating which shouldnt be advertised. Ampeg's actual rating for 4 ohms bridged is 1200 watts, not 1600. I dont know where they get the cojones to tell everyone the SVT-4 is 1600 watts, when on their website, its most obviously 1200 watts.

Of course, I am also skeptical of this rating as well, but what can you do. It doesn't change the fact that my SVT-4 can still rattle all the windows in the neighborhood! :cool:

whoops bad spelling :eek:

3. Yeah, it's the old trick of advertising the peak power output, not the continuous RMS amount... Remember the days (well, it still happens now) where home stereos were advertised with 1000w PMPO power? Heh heh... :D

I haven't played thru an SVT4 myself, but from what some people have said, it's not as powerful as it makes out. It makes me wonder about my old B2R - 350w at 4ohms - hell, if that was only peak no wonder I had to get rid of it! :eek: :D

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The B-2R is 350W RMS. The SVT4 is clearly spec'd on their website at 1200W RMS.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm my ampeg B4R has the peak and RMS listed. Maybe those people who claim Ampeg is over stating their wattage could bring a law suit against them for false advertising. That is if you Really belive they are lying.

6. All you need to do is to plug a scope into the output, place a dummy load across it, and pump a sine wave in - that'll tell you the true output.

I mean, my old B2R's 350w/4ohms could NEVER compete with my WT800's 400w/4ohms...yet there's (supposedly) only 50w difference.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well, there you go. Let us know how much compensation you get from Ampeg for their false advertising.

8. Heck, i'm just interested in whether Ampeg actually DO inflate their specs or if it's subjective...the endless quest for knowledge and all that... :D

If they are "lying", well, there's a little money-spinner for someone out there! :D

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I have a feeling the problem is that Ampegs are voiced differently and in such a way that even if they are putting out the electrical equivalent to 450W, it sounds less audible than say an SWR at 400W. How you eq has a huge effect on the perceived loudness and also how much headroom you can get out of the system. Ampegs, out of the box, come with a very bass heavy sound. Add a dash of bass (which most Ampeg cabs can't produce efficiently) and you've just wasted huge amounts of power and not done anything to make yourself "louder".

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ding, Ding, Ding....We have a winner!
    Same conclusion I came to.
    Which is different than saying Ampeg is deliberatley lying about their power ratings. If checking the true output is easy to do, wouldn't it be REAL STUPID to print another rating on the amp?

11. My sense of it is that SWR stuff is more midrange attenuated than Ampeg stuff. Their cabinets are for sure. There's probably something in the low EQ thing if you're using the sealed ampeg cabs, but the HLF series can produce huge amounts of bottom end. Of course there are all kinds of factors involved in this stuff. I don't think Ampeg is making up power ratings out of thin air though. the 4-PRO can probably produce 1600 Watts for short term bursts. The problem here is that manufacturers don't used standardized testing procedures, so they can used different types of tests to make their numbers look better. No one steps in to say which tests are valid and which are not. Ampeg certainly isn't the only company guilty of this. Check out the pro audio world for huge amounts of this kind of thing. There's no way they're blatantly lying, because their legal department certainly isn't stupid enough to think they could get away with that. I think that the manufacturers should be forced to run standardized tests under ISO or something. That way at least all the manufacturers would be on a level playing field.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    In order to settle this once and for all, I called my local music store of 70 miles away, and asked if they could run a check on my SVT4Pro tomorrow morning. They said they would, no problem, so tomorrow night I will post the results.

I am very curious about this too. Not that it matters to me too much, because I am totally happy with the amp. I would just like to know like everyone else, if they are being a bit optimistic.

13. You got that right! Euphonic Audio (highly respected for their cabs) continually emphasises the peak wattage of their amps, but you can't find a rating anywhere for watts @ 8 ohms. From the EA website:
    :rolleyes: Feels like a bit of a pump job.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ampeg is not lying.:)

The shop tested my SVT 4 Pro in the mono bridged mode, at 4 ohms.

The amp is putting out a full 1200 watts. This makes me feel much better, knowing that I didn't get ripped off.

They also tested each channel seperately, and they were both putting out the power that they were supposed to. (I can't find the sheet that they typed up for my right now to get the specifics, and I am too lazy to look for it:p )

15. Good stuff - finally some proven information. Add it to the FAQ! ;)

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thanks Ryan for going through the trouble of getting the FACTS on Ampegs power ratings. :cool:

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Sweet! I knew Ampeg was telling the truth! Now maybe they'll get some more respect around here... Me and my SVT-4 know when we're not wanted :D

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm... over a year since this thread was started and not a word about anyone bringing false advertisement claims against Ampeg.
    Still waiting................

19. Yeah! Well I think they're all a bunch of liars at that there Ampeg joint. I wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw 'em! You guys with those BIG watt rigs got lucky (I guess). But they really lied BIG TIME about mine. I bought one of them little 300 watters. An SVT they call it. Damn thang knocked the rest of my drywall down and caused both termite colonies in my house to move next door. Bet it's ever bit of 1827 watts if it's 10. Damn liars! :spit: ;)

20. P.S. And that was just 3/4s up.