Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The truss rod is broken & the neck is bowed. Otherwise in good nic"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 1, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all, I was cruising ebay for basses to pass some time and stumbled upon a cort curbow with the following in its descriptive area and thought you guys may find it amusing:

"This is a nice guitar! Unfortunately the top cutaway broke off. The truss rod is broken and the neck is bowed. Electronics work. Otherwise in good condition."

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561965608&category=7266

There's pics on there of it.

2. It appears to be a new instrument that was damaged during shipping.

It would make a nice parts bass, unless a luthier can repair the break. :meh:

;) Treena

3. Pff! 750$ for a piece of garbage. Some people will sell anything. :rolleyes:

Cast that in the trash, you st00pid!

Edit: Oops! I just saw the actual price. Well, I guess at 80$, you could recycle the electronics and hardware...

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I think eveyrthing that guy is selling has a broken truss rod and a bent neck

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    How in the name of all that is good and just do you break off the horn of a bass!?! :eek:

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Allthough, if you look at each of his auctions, it says in the auction:

"1. All items listed on this site are sold AS-IS, without warranty, and NO RETURNS WILL BE ACCEPTED. They may have at one time been great guitars, however now they all need repairs/set-up and sometimes parts. If you see parts in the picture, then the guitar has parts, if you do not see parts in the picture - well you get the idea. (We do not sell parts separately) We make no claims as to the reparability of the instrument, as we do not know the level of the bidder's repair skills.

2. These guitars are intended for luthiers, or competent guitar repairmen. If you want a guitar that is ready to play, there are plenty of good offerings by Guitarweb on eBay. All guitars are stamped USED and/or 2nd on the back of the headstock. "

7. I think that this may explain it:

[​IMG]

Geoff

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, at least he's honest! :D:D

9. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Yeah, I've seen horror stories about basses like these being advertised as new and being purchased...

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Wondering how such damage could be done on that bass... :rolleyes:

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I imagine when those those Cort Curbows get damaged, they're pretty much done in; I've seen other examples of this type of bass with big damage. Probably due to the body being made of a plastic.

12. I assume it's Luthite?

I remember Christian Olde-Wolbers of Fear Factory claiming in an Ibanez ad that the Luthite bodies on the Ergodyne were "indestructible".
    -obviously not.

the busted horn looks like a half-eaten choc-ice.

maybe the owner tried pogoing onstage, and the strap split the top horn.

13. i'm gonna go for it. i've been looking for a fretless :D
    how hard could it be to remove the fingerboard to replace the truss rod and slap a little glue on the horn? i mean, if i screw up, all i need to do is make a new custom fingerboard/neck right? ;)

14. haha...thats funny.

"The Upper horn is snapped off,the neck looks like a pretzel,but other then that....its in good condition" ;)

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup.

16. so yeah, looks like i won the auction for this piece fo junk....$106 shipped...i figure the parts i can salvage off it would cost me about $120 if i bought them seperately, and i happen to be building my first bass (messed up a lot so far). But here's the plan: i'm gonna try to fix the darn thing despite my lack of skill...and when i fail, i'll salvage the parts :)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

eBay as the "junk shop" of the world!! ;)

18. hey, i just got my broken bass today, it works great! Actually, the action is really high, but the neck isn't as bad as i thought it would be. Sure, the upper horm is broken off, but i figure it's nothing a little gorilla glue cant fix :)

19. So you got it after all!
    Hey that's great. Post some pictures when you get it fixed!

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. i just adjusted the truss rod, and now the neck relief is quite nice. Either the broken joint is set pretty well, or the rod isn't broken at all. Either way, the action is getting pretty nice. Gluing the upper horn on tomorrow.