The Truss Rod story....buyer beware....with a classic ending

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theautarch, Mar 27, 2003.

1. theautarch

Mar 18, 2003
    Well...two weeks ago i bought a used Warwick Corvette Proline. I had my bass teacher check it out and he looked at the truss rod nut and says it looks stripped to him and he was afraid to turn it. so, i decided to return it last is how it went down.......

I decided to return the bass. Of course the Asst. Manager was trying to play me down.
    "what's wrong with the bass?" ,as he plays it.
    "the truss rod is beat. The truss nut is stripped, my teacher took a look at it and said it was stripped also."
    "uh-huh, lets take a look at it in the back."
    we start walking to the tech area.
    I say, "it might have a few turns in it but after that it's gonna be useless." This thing was CRANKED down. The inner pin of the truss was sticking up through the nut.
    we get to the tech and the again downplays my teachers claim, "his teacher said the truss rod is beat."
    the tech looks at it, "whoa, it does look beat." he replies. he gets an allen key and tries to get a good fit. he looks at it again and claims that something was was broken off in the nut. he gets the allen key set and gives the nut a hearty turn.
    "ya see, when the bass sits for a while ya have to give it a good turn before it will move easier", says the asst. manager. THEN all of a sudden, as i was getting my final, i don't want it, line ready...
    The tech looks at me, looks at the bass..."Truss rod snapped."
    "what?", asks the asst. manager.
    "yep, it snapped." It shot the allen key 5 feet away!!!!!!!!
    so just to confirm the asst. manager puts the allen key in the nut and it spins like a pinwheel......
    so after that he tried to push me into some other basses, of course i left with nothing......i am much happier now.....:D
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..You went in with a £1000 (ish) bass, and left iwth nothing?

'Much happier' wouldn't describe my feelings in such a situation ;)
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i sure hope you got your money back. :eek:
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    at least the tech wasn't trying to undermine you..
  5. And that's why he's only an "assistant" manager.

Ba dum bum...spshhhh! :D
  6. theautarch

Mar 18, 2003
    i sure as heck got my money back.....
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Wow... the "perfect moment"! No arguing with you then... glad you caught it while you could still get your scratch back.
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    thats awesome
  9. Result! Congrats on your lucky escape! Glad you got your cash back.....only p[roblem now is you;ll be suffering from GAS again......;) :D :D