Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The truth about the twisted neck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torzal, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Torzal

Torzal Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Austin, TX USA
    Owner: Little Guitar Works
    I play one of those twisted neck basses and it is incredible! In fact, I'm responsible for them. Even though they may make you feel a little drunk, playing is easier and more fun than ever. I've attached a photo of another one.

The deal is, they ARE twisted. The nut and bridge are rotated in opposite directions, and each string does of course follow a straight line from the bridge to the nut. The fingerboard follows a straight line under each string (except for a proper amount of relief), and the height from the fingerboard to the string is consistant along the length of the neck, just like any other properly set up bass. Think of it this way: Each string plays and behaves like a normal bass, but each string is skewed in relation to the next one, and the geometry of the fingerboard/neck is shaped accordingly. They also have a truss rod (or two), and behave in a remarkably normal fashion.

I have a patent on the design (#6,034,308). There are a few guitars that employ some similar concepts, but there is nothing like these basses! Somebody mentioned Wishnevsky, I am cureous to see what they are referring to that might be similar.

Did anybody happen to check these basses out at Bass Day in NYC in November? I'd love to get your feedback.

If anybody has more questions please feel free to ask. Remember, I'm searching for the best bass just like everybody else!

Jerome Little
    www.littleguitarworks.com

2. I saw those twisted neck guitars in Beyond 2000.. on the Discovery Channel some years a go , and never new about them again.. I had always wondered what had hapened to them till now..

thanks for the link.. they are just interesting to me.

3. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    It does actually kind of hurt me to voice my opinion on this. But I honestly think buying one of those would just be a huge waste of money.

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    That's cool! It's great to see people trying new things to advance the instrument. Take it to the next level and all. The Wishnevsky thing is our little inside joke. If his necks are twisted it's not on purpose:D Probly more like lack of truss rod! You can see how he uses the bottom of a chili can for a control cavity cover on the top of his basses here.
    http://wishnevsky.homestead.com/Home_Page.html

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, it ain't what I'd characterize as a million-dollar idea.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Does it also hurt to explain why you think it's a huge waste of money? Have you actually played one, or are you deciding with your eyes only?

The idea behind it makes perfect sense, both mathematically and physically. I'd love to try one out, but I don't know when I'd ever get the chance.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think it looks pretty neato...the warped shape seems like it would work pretty comfortably, too...i can see gabe and redbird's faces right now when some guy brings one of those in for a truss adjustment... :D

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i know this may sound whiney:

but, i was thinking about the twisted neck idea years ago.

its the designer in me.

i play classical style with my thumb in the middle of the neck and my wrist extended out for great facility.

i even practice without putting any pressure on my thumb and even without my thumb on the neck.

this pushed me to rethink the neck design and i was trying to solve a twisted neck idea.

i'm glad someone else got it into production.

i hope they'll be showing at NAMM 2003!!!

its an exciting time for guitar design. with the folks at Lightwave, Michael Spalt and a handful of others, basses will certainly be taking new forms over the next few years.

all hail BASS!

f

9. [​IMG]

I think it's a great idea. It would probably take some getting used to but I could see it eventually becoming much more comfortable and ergonomic than a standard bass.

How about building one with Novax fanned frets? :D

- Dave

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Will you be at NAMM? i also find these interesting and i applaud you spirirt of innovation- id love to check one out

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    being a graduate in Ergonomy and Human factors, an amateur bass player and havin a wicked left hand wrist, i sincerely hope that your idea will soon be available to many.

go on.

12. Very cool, I just saw a popular mechanics show last night w/ Ken parker and Larry fishman on there. Seems like you've worked with those that know, that really brings your ideas credibility. I personally think it's a great idea, was thinking about it last night while practicing. About how I change how I hold the bass "slightly" while changing position horizontally on the neck. But anyone that doesn't matter until someone else on here trys one, and gives an honest report.

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    It just doesn't look right to me.. however.. I am always open to new things... and If in fact it is easier to play... maybe I'll be getting a bass with a screwed up... I mean twisted neck... ;)

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Glad to see you here, Jerome. I'm certainly intrigued with this design. There seems to be quite a bit of skepticism surrounding it here, but I'm sure you might have encountered just a tiny bit of that already...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept.
    How does bending strings work on this setup?

thanks for showing up to prove that this bass actually exists and is functional.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very interesting. I'd like to try one out, that's for sure.

16. Torzal

Torzal Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Austin, TX USA
    Owner: Little Guitar Works
    Thanks for all of your comments. And thanks for welcoming me to talkbass. It's great to see so many people so actively talking so much bass!

I will be at NAMM, but I won't have a booth at this show. If anyone is going to be there definately get in touch with me so we can get together.

I've attached another photo to check out.

Jerome
    www.littleguitarworks.com

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i for one would love to check this out- email me and ill give you my cell number- i will God willing be at NAMM- peace, Adrian

18. let's do the twist!

doing a slide up the neck might be interesting.....
    rollercoaster-style....

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Jerome

Welcome to Talkbass. I just read the patent, and it looks very cool. I especially like your laminating process. I'd like to ask a few questions, if I may.

1. Are the fingerboards CNC'd? I'm guessing that they would have to be, since normal fretboard shaping and sanding techniques might not work.

2. Along the same lines, do you hand cut the fret slots, or are they CNC'd with a slitsaw? This leads to question 3...

3. Can you do Novax fanned frets? Have you ever considered it?

4. Did you find that it was necessary to use a fairly deep neck profile in order to increase the torsional stiffness to counter twisting, or are you able to do a fairly flat profile also?

5. Regarding the string bending question, I would guess that bends must be upward (towards the sky), as bends toward the ground would fret out. Is this correct?

6. How difficult is it to set up the instrument? There must be some compexities here, since, especially with a large twist, any movement in the perpendicular direction (to the bridge plate) at the bridge is in the parallel direction at the nut, and vice versa.

7. And just wondering, why is the patent limited to twist between 5 and 65 degrees?

Good luck with your invention!