Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "truth" with no BS ,Badassll or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, Aug 10, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ok, whats the "truth" concerning putting a Badass ll bridge on a MIM precision bass?
    Is it going to make any noticable difference in tone, intonation, and string stability?
    Is it really a "drop in" mod ? or will I have to shim my neck?

Or is it all BS ?

2. I have never played a bass with the badass II bridge but I can tell you one thing: You won't have to shim your neck but you will have to cut the slots for the strings in the bridge saddles and that needs to be done realy realy well...

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I know the ? has been played to death, but how about making this a Fender MIM P Bass or MIM Jazz bss specific question then?

Does it do anything to the sound? better or worse?

Is it really a "drop in" mod?

Are the saddles really that easy to file correctly?

Some say "Yes" some say "no" to these questions.

Doing a search seems to bring up conflicting opinions.

should we just call it a draw?

4. you will noice more response from your strings. you will have a higher attack level/feel.

I just put on on my Fender jazz, and noticed all of the above. More response/quicker response. Thats about all i noticed.

in the end, I took it off and sold the BAII on ebay. It altered the tone of the instrument, and made the jazz no longer a Fender Jazz.

5. It's all subjective - and "subjective" means that each is going to have his own opinion on it. Like Modern Growl - he didn't like his. I like them. So who's right? He is - I am.

You will never get a definitive answer like this. You should find a bass with one of these bridges and give it an ear. And keep in mind that there may be more to the decision than simply the tonal difference as Joshua has alluded to in his post.