Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The truth?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Spazzout, Jan 10, 2003.

Do you BS

Poll closed Feb 9, 2003.
  1. All the Time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Most of the Time

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Some of the Time

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Never *insert shifty eyes*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spazzout

Spazzout

Aug 7, 2002
    Bellingham, WA
    Dunno if this is the right place, but it's a technique in use in Orchestra, so ya... I've talked to lots of Bass players, both Jazz and Classical, and most have said that BS is an critical technique in orchestra. I use it alot, and so do lots of people. I'm 16 and In High School :( (i hate it) we were at Honors (like good people in the county get together and practice music for a full day (working day), then perform that night) and they decided that they wanted to turn the lights off where we were playing so it was almost all BS. I've also noticed that you can sorta catagorize diffrent kinds of people in diffrent sections ie basses have anal people and really relaxed out going people usually. But seriously, is BS used regularly by bass players?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Black Socks; I wear 'em with a tux all the time.

3. I think that Black Socks are essential in every bass player's wardrobe. The only other colour sock I wear is navy, as this helps with my intonation.

4. what is BS?

We have pretty informal concert attire, and the requirement for guys is black pants and black socks. I really admire the kids that show up wearing sneakers, with black socks.

I wore a pink polo shirt to that concert:p

5. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    BS is important to bass sections. There are certain passages that are NEVER going to be heard under ANY circumstances that are not worth the knucklebusting to work them out. Our schedules tend to be too busy to dwell on every lick in the "Flying Dutchman" Overture or the storm scene in Beethoven 6. Stuff like Mahler though...for some reason I feel the need to learn every lick even if it is buried. Zarathustra? Yup. Learn it as best as you can knowing that if you miss something here or there it is still an effect more than anything. I've found alot of very contemporary orchstral stuff with pages of BLACK that go by so fast that it is a total waste of time to practice it-especially when it is being beaten down by a fffffffffffff chord in the brass and tom toms roaring around (ALL weird contemporary works feature tom toms-it is a rule. Marimbas too).

oh wait...I misunderstood. Yes, black socks are important.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Brown socks reflect your search for truth.They look like black socks you haven't washed in a while or like white socks you haven't washed in a long while. And absolutely your playing sounds much better.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Ypu spent the equilvalent of the cost of a small house on a bass, the price of a used car for a bow, What were you thinking?
    Hell CVS has socks. Look in the" bass player who didn't budget" section. Now going with out socks could get you a date with the conductor.

8. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Has anyone seen the "Blue Sky" thread ?

9. Usually keep my BS's in my tux bag, but on that night they weren't there. Good thing my pant legs are long. Conductor almost made me wrap my whiteies with BDT -- Black Duct Tape.

10. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I thought that Beige Socks were fundamental to the search for truth in music and the metaphysical constructs of social relativity...but maybe I'm thinking of Burnt Sienna, which is somewhat like Brown.

Also, if you want to be good, then you should be dedicated enough to learn all of the difficult passages-- EVEN IF you'll be overshadowed by the brass. Your sound still adds something to the ensemble.

11. I'm lost :confused:

I'm still confused as to what BS really stood for.

Bass sectionals isn't a technique, neither are black socks. Maybe it's Bull Sh**.