Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The two best starter books

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by JimmyM, Jun 4, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, before anyone starts screaming at me to get a teacher, at this point it's impossible for me to take lessons. Between home renovations I'm doing and my work schedule, right now I'm lucky to get an hour a day to practice. But I don't want to stagnate working on my own with no materials.

So i would like to know what the two best starter bass books or videos are that explain how to get yourself started playing arco. I shall read everyone's opinions and make my decision from that.

Thanks!

2. If you can find an hour a day, you can spend one or two of those hours every couple of weeks with a teacher. It will be worth more than all the books you can get.

Not to leave you high and dry, here's my picks:
    George Vance, Progressive Repertoire for the Double Bass Vol.1. This comes with a CD with recordings of some of the exercises so you can hear what you are supposed to sound like. You will need a bow and rosin and a music stand to properly "go by the book". A metronome is also useful so you can practice in strict time. Most exercises have a specific tempo. Also the Yorke Studies for Double Bass Vol.1 is good to develop specific positions and sight reading.

Both books assume that you understand a little music notation and theory. If you don't,- get Paul O. Harder's Basic Materials in Music Theory also.

Also stick Double Bass Pedagogy into Google. I don't remember where, but one American university web site has downloadable movie files illustrating the various bow strokes.

Now, GET A TEACHER! :eyebrow:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Why you, I oughta... :spit: :spit: :spit: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Being lucky to get an hour a day doesn't mean I have time to drive an hour each way and work with a teacher for an hour each week. I will as soon as I get this crap done but it has to wait.

Tried Double bass Pedagogy and got a couple school sites but wasn't able to DL anything. Going to check out the books you mentioned, though. BTW, yes I do know theory so I imagine I could get through those books. Thanks, SS!

4. Sorry to hear your schedule is like that but you know I could get kicked of this forum if I didn't give you the proper ration for not getting a teach. ;)

Here's the one I was thinking of that has the great movies:
    http://www.uvm.edu/~mhopkins/string/?Page=movies.html
    You need apple quicktime or the plug-in for your browser.
    Here's another good site that was on another thread:
    http://members.aol.com/dspondike/basslesson.html#fingeringcharts

You should spend a while watching that. Very carefully study the posture, the finger positions, etc. And do get a teacher just as soon as you get that other stuff out of the way. Lemur has those books if you don't have a local source.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Need to get my sound working on my new computer, but I've got those pages saved. That looks like a bunch of great stuff there. Thanks for the links!

6. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    The George Vance book(s) Silversorcerer mentioned have been a great help to me in developing bow technique, etc... also check out Jeff Branditich's Double Bass Technique video. It's full of good information and exercises and you get to SEE a great player execute the material.