1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ultimate 12? Barefaced vs Berg vs Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Due to an upcoming move and an attempt to clean house & downsize, I’m considering a pair of 12’s for form factor above all else.

I’d love to check out a Mesa Subway stack - but the Barefaced & Bergs appear lighter and receive ample kudos.

I’m looking for full range - comfortable loudness - and a little earth shattering kaboom. Will use one cab with upright, both for electric gigs. Will be using a GK700rbii in the interim until I can afford a smaller amp.

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    all comes down to the driver really. cast frame eminence kapalites. i wouldnt call them cheap. cause they perform rather well. but more on the cheaper side for neos. be more than happy running a pair. but i wouldnt pay the ridiculous mark up with any cab loaded with them. and yes would pay a decent builder to load a cabinet with them, if cheaper. then if i did wanted to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a driver. it would be because i knew i was buying a ridiculous higher performing driver. and again pay said builder to put those into a pretty box. not the generic fairly ugly available boxes

Jason Hollar likes this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    My only experience with with my Subway 112 and 115. The 112 is surprisingly deep and it likes a good amount of power. Of course, you have to be realistic on how much volume and bottom end a single driver can can take, but this one’s nice.

4. I have a Barefaced Big Twin 2 and it does everything I could ask for. But I'd recommend two of the Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs.

Barefaced Bass - Big Baby 2

Sometimes I would like to use only one cab; sometimes both. And they're great PA speakers as well.

5. Bfieldy

Bfieldy Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    If it were me and money wasn't a factor my search would start and end with either a Greenboy Fearless or an Audiokinesis Thunderchild .

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I recently picked up a couple of Bergie HDN cabs , but went for a 112 and 210 combo . Could not be happier ...

7. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I sincerely appreciate all the responses especially since these high end cabs are a well worn topic.

It’s just frustrating to read all the hoopla but not be able to try most any of these.

I did play a subway 12 once but it was stacked with a 15 so of course it sounded heavenly. In the store.

Wish I had more (any) disposable income to drop a couple big ones on a new rig - lol - until then, your road tested observations are all I’ve got!

8. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I hear you. I've been in a bit of a merry go round about a pair of 12s. I've tried the Subway and the Bergs and while they're both really nice my choice came down to the Genzler BA112 and the AudioKinesis ThunderChild. These two boxes were the most clear, smooth, even and accurate of any I've heard. I ultimately chose the ThunderChild...it's a superior cab for accuracy, volume for it's weight, very portable with a nice top handle, a small footprint, and with the pluggable ports and switches you get several cabs in one. I only play electric, but since you play upright as well, the AudioKinesis ThunderChild is a clear winner in my book.

Good luck!

Bob

Slaymus, revroy, Cashu and 4 others like this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You owe it to yourself to check out the MAS 112 and Bodai 112. Amazing cabs.

MarkA, 31HZ, wave rider and 1 other person like this.
  10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I like the Subways (but I like the 15 better than the 12), and also like the Bergs. Never played a barefaced, but people here sure like em. For me, buying an Audiokinesis Hathor was a straight up GAS killer, and I've quit trying to improve my rig since. Worth the wait. You can't really go wrong with any of these, all great products.

11. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Id look at greenboy

12. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    The Greenboy 12s have a bigger footprint correct? Aren’t they the ones built like a floor monitor?

Is there a weight on those ... or does it depend on the materials? I’m not at all handy and could never build anything road worthy lol

13. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    You know you want a Genzler BA112 - thems are fancy.

revroy and Lammchop93 like this.
  14. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Well that Genzler does look fancy - with the built-in kick back tilt - but shipping weight is 41lbs ... maybe heavier than what I’m looking for.

The Barefaced is like less than 27lbs for the big baby w/silver cloth action. That’s what caught my eye anyway.

15. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I second this. And I also believe there are a couple of Bodai's available in the TB classifieds at very reasonable prices.

wave rider and Jason Hollar like this.
  16. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    There are alot of Berg users that use a 112 and 210 combo. I have the CN112 and CN210 (slightly older model that was replaced by the HDN line). This gives me three options, I usually gig with the 210 unless I am someplace pretty big and I usually leave the 112 at my drummers but have gigged many times with the 112. All three options are great, lots of bottom end and a clarity throughout the spectrum that makes them really cut through. The CN and newer HDN lines are neo so mine are 28 and 33 pounds and easy to carry. The REF line (replaced the older HD line) are ceramic and slighty heavier, some say better, I say tomato. The general rule is not to mix driver sizes but these cabs respond very similarly so mixing them is fine, Jim even publishes cab profiles for them for the BAmp. I could have opted for a second 112 but am so glad that I instead went this route and have more options. I've used one or both for both upright and electric in a variety of genres and have always been happy. Jim puts alot of resources into R&D with a constantly evolving product lines and has many satisfied users. When I was looking at new cabs I found this thread, hundreds of pages of "My XXX Berg cabs sounds great with my YYY head!:

Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Thanks for the heads up on the bodai & green boy cabs ... but they look bigger & heavier than what I can justify.

I heard there’s an upscale bass shop near DC ... I’ll have to trek down and see what’s in stock.

I’m sure all these cabs sound amazing but I gotta go lightweight & compact. Will eventually buy new direct from manufacturer - I like freshy cabs and minty warranties! Plus I’ll probably need to use a credit card as actual cash is a rare commodity these days.

18. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    For Greenboy, check out the Fearless line (not the Fearful). The F112 is only like 30 lbs I think

And I, Jason Hollar and CharlieC like this.
  19. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I've been to Jive Sounds in Alexandria, nice guy, somewhat limited hours his website is hopelessly out of date so you might call first.

Amplification

Jason Hollar likes this.
  20. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Pick one:
    20190726_024804.
    I would say that the Epifani D.I.S.T is a little darker than the Barefaced Big Twin I I but you can't go wrong with any of these brands. I also have the opinion, although not the direct experience, that as a previous poster mentioned, you can't go wrong with anything from @DukeLeJeune or a properly built Greenboy design.