1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ultimate 12? Barefaced vs Berg vs Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The Genzler MG12-T weighs only 30 lbs. Shipping weight is more than schlepping weight ! I use the MG212 T and, really, its very manageable.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  2. Jason Hollar likes this.
  3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I love the sound of my Bergantino HDN 12s. I have them in a 212 format, but I'm sure they're equally great in 2 cabs. No experience with others, but can't go wrong with the Bergs. I've used them with multiple amps.

petch, ELG60 and Jason Hollar like this.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you’re already looking at Barefaced, Bergantino, Mesa, Greenboy(fEARful/Fearless), MAS and Audiokinesis, those are all top of the line, state of the art cabs. They all have their own tonal differences as well.

Good luck with your quest! You will gets lots of solid help here in figuring out each of their characteristics and what fits based on your music style.

AstroSonic, ELG60 and Jason Hollar like this.
  5. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
  6. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I didn't mention Jorge Schroeder's stuff, and I get the impression that it's fallen somewhat out of fashion, but I have a brace of his 410's and coupled with my DB750, that combination SLAMS!

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Take a close look at the Bag End S-12N.
    Legendary design hasn’t changed since it was introduced.. it just works really well.

Also the Fearless F112 is an amazing system.

Many great choices out there.

Jason Hollar, wave rider and CharlieC like this.
  8. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The MAS/Bodai 12s are cool cabs and comparable to a super 212 (Fearless, Audiokinesis, etc.) in output but, if you're looking for something modular with the idea of taking one of the smaller cabs for quite stuff, I think a pair of the MAS 110s or a pair of the 18s (or a MAS 18 + MAS or Bodai 28) would be better. Maybe a bit more upright friendly, too.

Mike's 110s will play louder than a super 12. 18s will beat some conventional 12s but, I think go a little less loud than a super 12.

10s more efficient than the 8s, of course.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not counting fEARful 12subs, there are at least 3 possible Greenboy 12 footprints: fEARful 12/6/1 (bottom = 16.50" x 15.25"), fEARful 12/6/1 cube (bottom = 20.5" x 14.25"), and Fearless 112 (floor monitor shape = ???).

The weight will vary based on materials and other hardware options like grill, tweeter, handles, input connectors/dish, etc. IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the Barefaced, Greenboy/fear, AudioKinesis cabs, plus there are obviously plenty of new contenders, too.

I have a really nice set of fEARfuls to choose from. I love the 15/6/1 alone. When paired with a 15sub, or with a reverse baffle 15/6/1, it is as much rig as I have ever needed.

Perhaps more relevant are my 12/6/1 and 12/12/6/1 fEARfuls. They sound essentially the same. Weirdly enough, the 12/12/6/1 is much easier to move, load, and transport than the 12/6/1. My 12/6/1 is the "cube," which is not really a cube as much as it is a square baffle.

Weight is about 40 lb for the 12/6/1 cube, and about 52 lb for the 12/12/6/1, but your space/time warpage may vary. EDIT, just lifted the 12/12/6/1 and think it might be closer to 60 lbs, lol!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    Jason Hollar likes this.
  10. My fEarfull 115 cab weighs 38 lbs

Jim Carr and Jason Hollar like this.
  11. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    A few years back I had a pr of 112 bergs. One with a tweeter and the other without. I pushed them with a F1-X->QSC.Plx1202. They were clean and clear with plenty of booty. I really think that any of the cabs you are considering will more than do the job for you.

petch and Jason Hollar like this.
  12. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I use either one or two Barefaced Super Compacts at the moment and am very happy with their performance (I'm pushing them with either a Mesa D800 or D800+). I'm not a tweeter person, but if you want a full range, one cab solution, the Barefaced Big Baby II is a slightly larger 1x12" with a high frequency driver and the same 12" driver.

GMC, Jason Hollar and P_Robyn like this.
  13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Look man everyone has their preferences. Everyone is going to suggest the one they are loyal to, and I’m no different. That said, I play upright and electric, and professional player, teacher, and professor. I have tried lots of stuff. Portability and sound are near the top of my list for requirements. Barefaced has made me happier than ever. If you’re using upright and electric I’d recommend a Big Baby 2 and a Super Midget...get the polemount for your SM and use a stand on upright gigs. The SM is by far the best cab I’ve ever owned. The Big Baby 2 is even deeper and crisper and works great for electric bass and upright too. You can stack them. It sounds great...use them with your favorite amp. Two sizes for different situations. Amazing setup you won’t be disappointed.

14. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Yes, I use a pair of PL15 cabs, but these new cabs, supposedly introduced last year, are nowhere to be found on his site.

15. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    IME, sometimes smaller outfits can be quite a bit behind regarding marketing and social media. Devon Bass Guitars is an example. I suppose if one is chief cook and bottle washer, something's got to give.

16. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    My go to set up as well.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. The Mesa Subway Cabinet line sounds amazing with GK and Mesa heads too.

Jason Hollar and agedhorse like this.
  18. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I will also add that I recently got a One10 and I’m enjoying it for upright and electric as well. It’s deeper and punchier.

Jason Hollar and saltydude like this.
  19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I do play a couple of barefaced 112 cabs, a SM and a SC, I'm not keen on tweeters. I need some serious gear for one project where a single cab will not suffice. I switched from an aguilar 412 rig. I lost a quite a bit of footprint, a lot of weight and a bit of mud in the lows. The new stack goes just as loud and just as low, but punches harder down there. I've never had the pleasure to try out a berg, but the Mesa cabs are killer, too. They are a bit pricey this side of the pond, though. The barefaceds were cheaper (but even with the Mesas cheaper i'd have gone for them) and I can easily carry the whole rig in one go.

Jason Hollar and P_Robyn like this.
  20. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Yep. Greenboy.