1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ultimate 12? Barefaced vs Berg vs Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

I use Fearless cabs. My F212 & F215 are built out of okoume wood. Extremely light.

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Went for the 6X10 lol.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @Jason Hollar if you didn't have money for the high end stuff right now I would heartily recommend the Eden EX112's. I have a pair of EX110's and it's amazing how much low end a pair of those little guys get. And I believe the EX112's can handle more power than the 110's. the cabs are easy to transport and light. They have a nice bassy tone and the high end is really crisp.

Here's a link to the specs. Look around TB. There are a lot of Eden fans. I'm one of them......

EX112 | EDEN Amplification

Jason Hollar likes this.
  4. Macch5

Macch5

Nov 8, 2014
    Hudson Valley
    I keep going around in circles myself deciding on lightweight 112s to pair with my th500. Berg hdn’s are the frontrunner but then it’s “ohh, what about this?” When I see something else.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  5. Larry Fuller

Larry Fuller

Jul 6, 2015

6. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    +1 for booty cabs

Jason Hollar likes this.
  7. Larry Fuller

Larry Fuller

Jul 6, 2015
    I've been very happy with a pair of Aguilar DB 112s
    with ampeg svt7.
    larry

Jason Hollar likes this.
  8. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Like you I have a Big Twin 2 and it is a superb cab especially on reggae, such clean low end. Not long after that I decided to get a Big Baby 2 for those smaller gigs and I'd recommend either of them.

Jason Hollar and P_Robyn like this.
  9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I’d suggest the Audiokinesis Hathor or Changeling 1203 cabinets. Same woofers as the Thunderchild, but they have a 3” mid driver in a separate internal enclosure instead of a horn. That driver combination is exquisite for a bass guitar. That’s the Hathor; the Changeling adds a second rear-firing 3” driver that creates a little magic by bouncing some sound off the back wall.

Around 30 pounds each.

Jim Carr, Jason Hollar and wave rider like this.
  10. Rice

Rice #bluecollarbassist Gold Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Euphonic Audio NL-112.
    (Drops mic and walks away...)

Jim Carr and Jason Hollar like this.
  11. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I have two Berg AE112 cabinets (the previous generation with neo drivers) with a GB Streamliner 600.

For smaller gigs I just use one of them and stack them for bigger rooms - I find them clear and punchy and haven't had a problem yet suiting volume level to the room size.

I play 4 string, 5 string and an electric upright and they have no issue handling any of them.

And at about 30 pounds each I can carry one in each hand into the gig.

I haven't tried the others but I'm very happy with these.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm with the Barefaced crowd. I haven't tried one of their full super 12s, but I really like my Super Twin 212. Powerfull, easy to move, great tone.
    Yes it is a proprietary design, but that is what I love about it. The builder re-thought everything. It is music tech built by nerds. I dig that.

13. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I double too and I've owned an older Berg 12 and a Barefaced Super Midget but neither sounded as good with the upright as my current speaker the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112 acoustic friendly version. Great with the slab too. Super versatile plus I doubt you'll ever need two of them.

Jim Carr, MarkA, Cashu and 4 others like this.
  14. This looooong nerdy video about the new Barefaced GUITAR cabs is well worth watching. I was quite surprised!

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Some fantastic gear has been mentioned so far.

My gear journey for the last 25 years has been: Mesa Boogie, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino and finally Barefaced.

They all sounded good but IMO I'm at a sonic peak right now with my 2 112 Barefaced cabs.

Jim Carr, P_Robyn and Jason Hollar like this.
  16. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    ^^^ Thanks - I appreciate all the responses!!!

17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I rate the Barefaced 10s as better than many 12s I have played, but I do realise that is not the question.
    But it is food for thought......

Jason Hollar likes this.
  18. The Genzler BA12-3 is 34 pounds. Heavier than some of the others... lighter than others. The array is very cool. It allows the woofers to be woofers with a crossover at 800 and the array does a great job with vocal mids and smooth trebles.

A few years back I was looking at the Greenboys, Barefaced, Audiokinesis Hathor, and Genzler. All are great choices. I decided on the Genzler and don’t regret it for a second. My next choice would be the Audiokinesis Hathor.

Jason Hollar, RColie and wave rider like this.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Have you considered building a fEARful? There are kits that have everything, including the hardware, built cross-overs, pre-cut plywood, glue, etc. Buying used also works. You will frequently find used fEARful's on TB classified.

I double a lot, and am very happy with the sound of fEARful + amp + double bass.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Jason Hollar likes this.