Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ultimate Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blown240, Mar 6, 2006.

1. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    A good friend of mine who is currently building guitar amps is looking into building bass amps as well.

He wants to know what features are the most sought after in the bass world. What would you want your perfect bass amp to have?

Lets keep it realistic, because there is a VERY good chance that he will start making them. If they are anything like his guitar amps, they will be AWESOME!

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Parametric EQ section (not just mids). Compresser (full controls of attack, ratio and release).

3. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    Ya, I was thinking a 7 band parametric would be sweet. A 15 band would be better though!

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Fender 3-band tone stack, drive, master volume, and about 500 watts of KT88 power at 2, 4, or 8 ohms.

5. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    2 channels with 500 to 600 watts ea. @ 4 ohms would be nice.

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Bring a fork lift.!

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's a lot of knobs! Maybe you meant graphic EQ? (The ones with the little sliders.) With a seven band parametric you'd have 21 knobs, just in the EQ section. 45 on a 15 band! :eek:

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I currently have two head that have some of the requests mentioned above:

"2 channels with 500 to 600 watts ea. @ 4 ohms would be nice"

I have a SVT5 Pro which is 340 w @ 4 ohms (1000 w bridged @ 4 ohms)

"Fender 3-band tone stack, drive, master volume, and about 500 watts of KT88 power at 2, 4, or 8 ohms"

My Peavey Classic 400 puts out about 450 watts (according to bobbyblvd the Peavey tech here on the forums) with a 3 band stack and has KT-88's but it can't run at 2 ohms :confused:

I'm close on a couple, but not quite there.. :p

9. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    It is alot of knobs, but it would be cool! a 31 band slider would be sweet too!

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Built-in Strobe Tuner, seperate gain and master controls, boost/cut switches for bass, low-mid, mid, hi-mid, treble, or dare I say it......

Tubes!

11. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    what about on board distortion? anyone like that idea?

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You're talking "Tube" amps right? Original
    Start looking here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213749&highlight=jackson+ampworks

13. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Exactly my thinking.

14. Regular tone controls like Low, Mid, High in addition to a 4-band semi-parametric EQ that could be bi-passed via footswitch. An enhance/scoop type knob that sounds good and could be footswitched on and off. A distortion feature with a variable lowpass filter so a clean low-range could be achieved with grit to full-on fuzz above it; also footswitchable. 2, 4, 8 ohm operation, 750watts at 4ohms, low noise, mosfet power, preamp-tube, 2U, clip-protection/limiter. I even took a few minutes to make a picture :D

Attached Files:

• amp.JPG
      amp.JPG
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah, Quad, but it's got all that other junk too. I don't want that. Extra features don't do anything for me.

But you're right, I've considered a Classic 400 before. Too many knobs, though.

16. 15+ band EQ (go 50 band if you can ;) )
    compressor
    able to get down to 2 ohms
    Preamp tubes
    500+ watts at 4 ohms
    built in chromatic tuner (like Korg DTR-2 and the like)

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Tell your friend not to bother trying. Behringer has already built it.

:bag:

18. 400 or more tube watts.
    One knob, labelled "more" with an arrow indicating which direction to turn it. Also one big, red button labelled "suck" for rock gigs.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A minimum of 1200 watts at 4 ohms.

A weight of less than 5 pounds (absolutely mandatory).

DSP-configured EQ and compression presets, with mapping to pots for real time adjustment.

Software PC interface for DSP programming.

Lets keep it realistic, because there is a VERY good chance that he will start making them.

All of the features I've listed are readily available, just not in one piece -- yet (as far as I know).

20. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The most sought-after features for a bass amp?

1. Tone. The amp has got to sound good flat, it's got to produce right from square one. Some folks like to twiddle, but many are fine with just one good sound.

2. Power. No bassist is going to buy an amp that's not loud enough for his situation, or at least he thinks may not be loud enough.

3. Weight. Lighter is better. People are more willing to schlep around a twenty-pound amp than a one-hundred pound SVT.