1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Ultimate Bass for Sliding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by novo, Aug 22, 2012.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Ok, I love slide bass lines

So I was using my jazz the other day and tried out some slides and tend to notice that sometimes (sometimes out of a small mistake during the slide aswell :scowl:), the slide does not 'move enough air' (if you know what I mean)...Are there different types of basses who do these better?

No offending please :p

Thanks!

:bassist:

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Fretless.

3. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    A powerful slide demand some hammer-on or more decisive plucking when you start the slide.
    On a Jazz bass you can use only the neck pup as it kind of increase the volume and the tone will be fuller.

Otherwise, there could be several things one could look on, the amp, the amp settings and even the bass setup.
    There is nothing wrong with the Jazz regarding slides or any other technique.

4. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    with a 36-"fret" fingerboard

5. The Zon Hyperbass.
    Maybe

6. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Yep, go fretless...with flats. You'll be sliding around like a greased pig on an ice skating rink...

7. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    ThaNKS guys

haha good one :p

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    A slide on a fretless is nice, but I like a slide on a fretted bass even better. You get this Grrrrrnnnng which a fretless lack.
    Here is a great song by Genesis, the bass line contains lots of slides

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Fretless slides and fretted slides sound way different to me, and they are both useful. Every bass I play seems to have different glissando characteristics. I think the size of the frets, along with the exact set up can really change the sound a lot. In my experience, which is no where as vast as many people on this board, I get more of a growly slide with larger frets, and a woody sort tone from smaller, vintage frets.

I believe a slide up in pitch increases the energy of the string, and also the volume, while a slide down in pitch loses energy and thus volume. I hit the string a little harder before a descending slide.

Naturally, string choice plays in to all of this, as well.

I hope all of this yammering somehow addresses the original question. :)