Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ultimate custom

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sonic, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Hey guys. I was just wondering, what would be your ultimate custom made bass, as far as sound, play, feel, and style. Also, does anyone know the ballpark price for getting a custom made, I've been thinking about it.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, you could get a custom wishnevsky for about 200 bucks, or you could get one of those crazy alembics for upwards of 10 grand...how 'bout one of those fodera anthony jackson presentation coffee table jobbies? in getting a custom made bass, you can spend as little or as much as you want. expect to pay at least 2500-3000 for a nice bass. they can be had for cheaper...and for even twice that, easy. one word of advice is to know exactly what you want going into it. remember that you are going to get exactly what you ask for, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on your research. a lot of cost will come in getting that perfect top, which you could pay out the yin yang for, depending on what you want. as far as what i would want in a custom bass...i dunno. i get pretty much what i want from the basses i already own. something else...most custom basses will do one or two things well, so don't think that you will be able to coax an arsenal of high end basses out of one. do your homework, and getting a bass built for you should be a quite enjoyable experience...i would recommend looking at greg curbow, bill conklin, fbb, dave pushic, and ken bebensee...there are lots of others out there. shop around.