1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ultimate Distortion Poll

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition

9.9%
  2. Pro Co Turbo RAT

8.6%
  3. Tech 21 Sansamp GT2

3.7%
  4. Landmine LD-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Radial Tonebone Hot British

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Marshall Guv’nor (specify original or reissue)

4.9%
  7. Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg

3.7%
  8. Boss HM-2

4.9%
  9. 3Xfx Fatman/V2

4.9%
  10. MI Audio Crunch Box

1.2%
  11. Boss MD-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. T-Rex Bass Juice

2.5%
  13. Z. Vex Box of Rocks

1.2%
  14. Fulltone GT-500

3.7%
  15. Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. HomeBrew FMJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Ibanez PD-7

4.9%
  18. Radial Tonebone Classic

2.5%
  19. Tech 21 Sansamp Tri-A.C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (please specify)

43.2%
  1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have been on a search for the perfect distortion, and trust me I have used the search function more than I should have. The distortion I want is very gritty, doesn't get fuzzy (Rats tend to do this), crunchy, tubey, and has a good balance of high end, mids, and lows. I am looking for an ideal tone so if I need to pick up a blender, so be it. A cranked Marshall type of distortion pedal that remains defined and doesn't get fuzzy and sounds full on bass is a good description of what I want. When you vote, can you please give a reason, and if you vote other can you specify. Also, if you have personal experience with one of these pedals and they don't meet my criteria, include that in your post. Sorry for the long thread.

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The Tim Commerford sound in Audioslave sounds more like a distortionish fuzz than just a distortion to me. I don't think you're going to be able to cop anything like his tone with any of the pedals you've listed.

Also I wouldn't recommend making any major purchasing decisions based on a thread like this. You're going to get a lot of votes on certain pedals because more people own that pedal, and in fact a lot of people won't have tried much else and will recommend you something only because it's the best in their opinion out of a very limited amount of stuff they're familiar with.

And if you don't want a pedal that gets fuzzy you might want to think about taking off the T Rex Bass Juice. Here's a particularly bad demo of it on youtube: . Pretty fuzzy mushy garbage tone.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yea that clip was sort of a last minute thing, I will take it out. I just want to get more feedback on what others think.

4. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

That about nails it. :D Smooth and Doesn't go way over the top.

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    It would be nice if I was looking for an overdrive.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Maybe I should add the bass drive, it can get pretty distorted with the gain cranked in vintage mode with the boost on.

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    We need a comprehensive distortion review, like Bongomania's great compressor reviews.

Everybody has different tastes, so comparing different pedals by using reviews from different people, is a flawed approach. But if it's just one person reviewing, at least you can factor a consistent set of ears into the equation.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If everyone donates me their pedals I'd be happy to compile such a review! ;)

11. Flipster.

12. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    I've been using the EBS Multidrive and I'm very happy with it. I find I can easily get smooth tubey grit right up to John Entwistle style tones with it - I'm using it with a Mesa 400+. Only complaint is it sometimes has a bit too much low end.

13. Hell-Lu

Hell-Lu

Sep 15, 2004
    Norway
  14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There's too many and it's too personal to come up with "the best".

Also, a poll on distortion without a Fulltone Bass Drive is not a worthy poll :D

15. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    MXR Distortion 3!

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Do you think it sounds good as a devoted distorion, not overdrive.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think it'd be the best two channel drive pedal on the market by a mile if it had a volume control on the boost channel.

18. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    good to know, i just thought a ts clone couldn't get that gainy. Any way of adding it to the poll?

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's the problem with "oh it's only a TS clone / fuzzface / muff / 250" way of thinking.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yea, I guess I neglect all ts clones when I'm considering distortion. Maybe I should add the Jacques Tubeblower as it is supposed to have a wider gain range.