1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ultimate Distortion Poll

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition

9.9%
  2. Pro Co Turbo RAT

8.6%
  3. Tech 21 Sansamp GT2

3.7%
  4. Landmine LD-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Radial Tonebone Hot British

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Marshall Guv’nor (specify original or reissue)

4.9%
  7. Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg

3.7%
  8. Boss HM-2

4.9%
  9. 3Xfx Fatman/V2

4.9%
  10. MI Audio Crunch Box

1.2%
  11. Boss MD-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. T-Rex Bass Juice

2.5%
  13. Z. Vex Box of Rocks

1.2%
  14. Fulltone GT-500

3.7%
  15. Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. HomeBrew FMJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Ibanez PD-7

4.9%
  18. Radial Tonebone Classic

2.5%
  19. Tech 21 Sansamp Tri-A.C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (please specify)

43.2%
  1. id have to go the proco turbo rat and the ibanez PD7 beacuse I own them and got them after listening to others clips off here... BUT the more I listen to effects, the more I realise the range is just insane,... not to mention the boutique pedals etc... and everyone will have their own opinion on what sounds the best fuzz/overdrive/grit/industrial/etc etc...

the other bad problem is listening to major brands effects via the website doesnt usually put many good settings on or let you hear the full range of tones it can produce,...

all you can do is try and find them at guitar stores and try them yourself? :)

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Devi Ever Aenima. Crunchy, unruly, rough distortion, the opposite of smooth. I'm selling off my Turbo Rat because of it, if that tells you anything.

3. wow,... all I have to say is wow... I listened to the guitar sample on the webiste, if you get anything like that on bass I too would be selling off!!! any idea how much they cost/ availability>???

4. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Another choice that's working for me is a Tube Works Blue Tube stompbox witha 12AU7 in place of the stock 12AX7. The AX7 gives it more gain, but the AU7 gives more headroom and adds smoothness to the sound so you get closer to an OD tube head sound.

5. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I got mine direct from Devi's eBay store for $65 last year, but alas, she doesn't do direct anymore. You can now get it from Analogue Haven, but it costs a bit more:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/devieverusa/

6. notenslaved

notenslaved I survived the 80's only to see it return.

Feb 13, 2008
    Connecticut, USA
    Slightly off-topic question:
    I was surprised to see the Fulltone Bassdrive wasn't here - is it considered more of a fuzz?

7. is the spectacular aenima the same as the normal aenima just with more options? or different pedal...

8. As I don't own any of the listed pedals, I couldn't comment on how good they are (although I've always fancied a Turbo Rat).
    I have a Boss ODB-3 (leave me alone, Boss haters!) and an Ibanez PD-7. I really do like the two of them, and don't believe the stick these pedals get for being 'too artificial' is justified.
    I tried an EH BigMuff Pi a while back (guitarist in my old band got one cos he heard Billy Corgan used one on Siamese Dream). It was too damn loud! Definitely would like to try one again in a loop with a compressor and/or EQ. The tone was great!

9. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    No, the Spectacular Aenima is an Aenima combined with a feedback loop. Awesome for ridiculous noise-fests

10. haha sounds nice!
    found the normal Aenima, just have to find out how much shipping to australia would be,...

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bassdrive is most definitely a overdrive / distortion. Not a fuzz.

12. Why no Fulltone Bassdrive in the list?

I use it, and I like it.. it's pretty vanilla, tone wise: it has no real negatives/bad vibes, but nothing that makes your cream your pants.
    (Generally, pants creaming pedals usually have a downside: ie, loss of low end, tone, etc.)

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I'd also add the B:assmaster I recently saw Ed Friedland demoing on youtube...really cool pedal.

14. B:assmaster is definitely fuzz ... not really distortion or OD.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Fuzz IS a type of distortion.

16. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    They're all different amounts of clipping, that is correct. However, the OP did ask for distortion that is distinctly "not fuzzy"

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Just to make things clear, I didn't put the bassdrive on the list because it's generally popular as an overdrive. Also, I know everything is technically distortion, but I am not looking for overdrive or fuzz, rather the middle ground which can be hard distinguish sometimes.

18. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I just checked and it is advertised as a fuzz pedal, do you use it at lower gain settings?

19. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    No, but then again I like my distortion to be high gain. I guess this gets down to how you distinguish Fuzz and Distortion. I don't think of Fuzz as being higher gain than distortion, I think of it more as a different tone. I think of fuzz as being smoother, with less note definition, like a Big Muff or something. I think of distortion as being harsher, rougher, with more of a grind-y sound. Using those definitions, I would call the Aenima more of a distortion than a fuzz. There is nothing smooth about it.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I see what you are saying but I still see a difference, when I think distortion I think cranked Marshall.