Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The ultimate epoxied fretless fingerboard...?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 26, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Check out this site:
    Woodwiz

There have been alot of threads on TB about doing this, it looks like this guy does it right.

Beautiful fretboards, but expensive!

Has anyone been able to get anything close to this doing it yourself?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

I think I'm gonna run to the hardware store and get some rubbing & polishing compound for mine :D

There pricing seems fair to me

3. Yes, I have a totally different technique and material and I can make a very nice fingerboard with 2 mil polyester coating that isn't painted on. This coating is harder than epoxy and though permanent when affixed, can also be removed if needed for whatever the reason. This requires special tools and techniques for application but IMO is superior to a permanent epoxy coating.

The cool thing about my technique is that I can do it in nearly any color (including clear) that you can imagine and the cost is very low compared to the method shown.

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Would you be willing to share your technique with us?

5. Not right now. Besides, the material is special and requires some different tools and techniques to apply. It's not a complex operation but it does take some real attention to detail to get it right.

In a few months, there will be a major announcement concerning this and many other developments coming out of my shop. You will definitely want to be in on it!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Heh....cool--and, I live right down the street. :bassist:

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    :meh: