Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The ultimate games console.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Microsoft X-Box

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Sony Playstation II

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Nintendo Gamecube

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Personal Computer or Macintosh

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Pretty simple. What do you think is the best games console, and say why.

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    PS2, for the best game selection.

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    You see, i used to think the ps2 was the best. But, ask someone what the best games are for it. They will mainly always say Grand Theft Auto. you can get that on X-Box. Plus the X-Box has Halo 2 which is great!

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    well it's just my personal opinion. halo is cool, but i get bored with it easily and im not a fan of the controllers for xbox.

5. A bomb ass PC.

6. SNES.

I have a Playstation 2 and an Xbox, and my opinion is this: PS2 has better exclusives, but if a company makes an Xbox and a PS2 version, 9 times out of 10 the Xbox version is better. Better graphics, faster load times, and usually more responsive controls.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the ultimate games console is a custom box that has Xbox+GC+PS+dreamcast+PC all in one, I have seen a couple of them, they are uber.

That said, SNES is my all time favorite.

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

+1

9. Gamecube. Three games: Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and Legend of Zelda. End of discussion.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ultimate Games Console has yet to be invented.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    PC... greater variety... you can upgrade it whenever you want, no idiots to break your controllers.

12. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    + 1

wrong robot is right. since the xbox is a computer you can do so many cool things with it. it is amazing. for real.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Out of those options, I picked Xbox.

Out of options not listed, Xbox, for the sole reason of one game:

Earthbound.

Without a doubt the most ingenious game ever invented.

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    So true. The poll is for consoles, so I voted Xbox. If you said gaming device, a computer is out of their leagues, for now anyway. I think by Xbox 4 they'll have it perfect :p.

15. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Xbox. Xbox is awesome. And the giant controller fits my hand perfectly. I love mine.

PS2 has horrible online support, worse load times, and lacks many of the best games ever, which are only for Xbox and PC. I still own one, though.

PC still faces the "ease of use" issue. More cheaters in online games, too. Also, I can't play FPS games on PC without hurting my wrist. I still own one, though.

Gamecube. ...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's like Nintendo decided they were tired of not sucking and put out the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube. Seriously, what were they THINKING?

If we're looking at ALL systems ever, I'm going with Nintendo 64. I have many fond memories of multiplayer games with my buddies James and Corey. 24 hour gaming sessions and the like.

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Bond, anyone?

17. Actually, even being a Nintendo Fanboy, I'd have to say that the N64 era was when Nintendo started to turn away from what "hardcore" gamers really wanted. I mean, a cartridge-based system in a CD world??

That being said, I do own all three current consoles and have to say, that while PS2 is definitely, any way you look at it, bringing up the rear of the pack, GC and XBox can pretty much stand toe-to-toe in almost any department. GC often suffers however from lack of 3rd party support. So, when games come out across all three, GC and PS2 end up with the worst versions, often due to compressed audio, and lack of 5.1 support (even though PS2 supports 5.1, GC only Pro Logic 2).

All three consoles have their pros and cons, so no system is really "better" than all of them. I mean, I find it hard to play Madden on any system besides PS2. The controller is just made for it.

For me, the GameCube gets most of my play time. Out of all game console companies, Nintendo is one that always puts out SUPERB first party titles.

18. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I agree the N64 wasn't great, but it did have Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., Perfect Dark, and the WWF (now WWE, yes I know) games for it were great. I mean, create yourself and your friends, then fight each other! We take this for granted now, but when it first happened, it was GREAT. It was also a system that came with four controller ports, a GREAT thing.

I liked cartridges, too. I mean, when you rented a game, if it was screwed up, you knew right away, and it was obvious. You didn't play halfway through it, then find a scratch that meant you couldn't get to the next boss, so you have to take the game back, and you've already had it three days, so they won't take it back and say you probably damaged it yourself. I think it ought to be required to have a $50 deposit at a rental place before they let you walk out with a game.

The Gamecube also falls flat in that it can't play CDs or DVDs. Whose idea was THAT?

Also, I hate the controllers. Tiny controllers AND inconviniently placed buttons! WOOO!

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    See, I absolutely hate PS2. I've NEVER been able to get used to the quirky controller, and I just hate the way it feels. I don't like very many of the games on PS2 either.

I'm STILL learning how to play games on PS2 that I've been playing for a long time. I can pick up an Xbox controller and immediately have at least some control of almost any game.

IMO, the only way that PS2 beats any of the other systems is that it can play PS games without any special adapters. If it weren't for that, the Nintendo systems and the Xbox would blow it away as far as I'm concerned.

20. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    I love nintendo, then NES, yes NES is what i said is the best console everrrrrrr.

That said i loved the N64 purely because goldeneye is the greatest multiplayer games ever made.

But i suppose the PS2 is great for games selection and the graphics are pretty good.

But without the NES we'd have nothing.