Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE ULTIMATE MASH-UP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. It came out very well, almost sounds like the vocal was written with Eleanor Rigby in mind. But what is that vocal? Never heard it before...

2. It's a from tune by the Dismemberment Plan, "The City," from the 1998 album Emergency and I.

A year or so back, the D-Plan posted raw vocal tracks of a bunch of songs on their website, "The City" included, and set up a contest whereby their fans could remix the material however they wanted. This is one of the outcomes. The vocal was repitched.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sounds like that wingnut who sang "wheeeee".

still, very cool sounding - they should get someone to re perform it.

4. Something tells me the guy who did this mix wasn't exactly working with an Eventide Orville to do his pitch-shifting ;)

Travis Morrison (the D-Plan's lead singer) has a really great voice normally; it's just a little Chipmunk-sounding here thanks to old-fashioned production techniques.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i figured as much. i'd be interested to hear what this would sound like if the vocal was reperformed. probably sound kick ass.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Vocals sound very similar to Placebo's Brian Molko (sp?), except he wouldn't need a pitch shifter. Cool tune though.