Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ultimate Pbass / Ultimate Overall Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigthemLows, Jan 18, 2006.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I am Gass Free!
    Put a Dark Star pickup in a Pbass and you will have the ultimate bass. These pickups are amazing, I highly recomend them.
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I played a Lakland with two Darkstars- they were pretty nice. Does your P has the pickup routes under the pickguard now, or were they able to install the Darkstar in the same spot?

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

4. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    This was a TBer project by Pathdoc2. I believe he routed directly over the P pickups. It's fully shielded too! These pickups beg you to play, and play well. So much tonal variety while remaining clear. Even the muddy tones are clear if that makes sense.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    For people who've played them...any preference between basses with a single DS and ones with two?

Thanks
    Marshall

6. +1, and also, any preference to which end the pickup is facing? (ie. larger poles toward neck or bridge.)

-ryan-

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played a Skyline Bob Glaub with the single DS (poles facing the neck), and a Skyline Hollowbody with the poles on the neck DS facing the neck and the poles on the bridge DS facing the bridge. Both sounded fantastic. The two DS pickups together give the bass a more complex tone, to my ears. I guess that's fairly predictable, but it's a noticeable increase. Each of the pickups has its own character, so soloing either gives you a different sound with a ton of character... at no point did any setting seem to be lacking anything. Of course, the same can be said about the single DS on the Glaub I played (for the record, I was playing them to decide which to buy from our own jive1 at his bass boutique shop, jivesound, and I placed an order for a Glaub that night). Both basses give you an incredibly thick but clear tone... I just preferred the Glaub to the Hollowbody in terms of feel. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask additional questions.

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks...that is very helpful. I think a 5 string DS or two may be in my future!

Anybody else with thoughts...offer away.

Marshall

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Sorry to blow the dream, but no 5 string Dark Stars as of yet.

10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I know that...but it's in the works I understand.

M

11. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    From what I understand the 5 string will be available by Austin NAMM, maybe slightly before.........I played a DS Glaub before I bought this, and I was hooked. They have such a great sound, it has a really wonderful Midrange with an underlying low that blows me away. I'm a passive bass guy, and this is the passive pickup! When I got the bass I set my amp to flat, and was going to adjust from there, and I never ended up changing the amp. The single tone control had it all..........simply amazing! It is hot in a good way too, not as hot as my G&L L1000, but close.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I even like the color :D

Nice!

13. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    played live? EVEN BETTER!

[​IMG]