Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The ultimate portable rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 31, 2001.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    An Acoustic Image Clarus 300 watt amplifier and two 10" or 12" 4 ohm cabs weighing <= 30lbs each. For those of you that don't know, the Clarus is a solid state amplifier that weighs about 5 lbs and can fit in the pocket of a gig bag. It kicks out 300 watts at 2 ohms, and has a DI. What do you think?

2. I guess I'd consider a Sansamp bassdriver DI a portable rig

3. SWR SM400-S in SKB case = 23 lbs.
    Goliath Jr. 4 ohm = 50 lbs.

Amp in one hand.
    Cabinet in the other.
    Gig bag over the shoulder.
    Equals one trip.
    500 watts of tone.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The new IAmp by Euphonic Audio is rated at 350W with a 1x10". I think it weighs about 50 lbs. Not too bad.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is cost a consideration?;)

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    No, which is why I introduced the possiblity of 12's. I'm thinking of this rig in modular terms, i.e. use one cab or both, but when both are used, have the benefit of placement for each cabinet as opposed to a single 2x10 or 2x12 in one place.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like a good rig, especially with the 12's.

8. Sounds good to me, and the above idea of a SansAmp, while said (I think) in jest, is very good. I read a review of the Clarus which stated that a SansAmp will turn a Clarus into a monster.

9. It wasn't a jest... If all fails, it may save your butt if your rig breaks down completely during a gig.

Plug her in, DI her, put some bassjuice into the monitors.. and you're off again. Too bad those things are really hard to come by here in the Netherlands

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I have a SansAmp and would concur that it would do just that!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's exactly what i do, except i've got a bass 350 instead.

it's very convenient for smaller gigs.

jason

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    For some shows, I take nothing but the POD pro in a 3-space case w/ my AKG wireless. It weighs 15 pounds at the most. I just plug into the pa. It's pretty portable and Sounds great.

Chas

13. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The Clarus is a dynamite little head; I even became a dealer for Acoustic Image last month - now if I can only keep the GAS down.

I've had a Clarus companion cabinet on the drawing board for the last six+ months. I have three heavy duty aluminum coned 75w RMS/150w peak speakers that I intend to build into a stained birch cabinet about 12x12x20. They have a frequency response of about 35-7000hz which should be fine. Should be relatively light and with its low ohmage (3.2?? or 2.6- I HATE ohms law and math!) it should get plenty of headroom from the Clarus.

Next to the Contra, which is my UPR for URB, this will be the electric bass version, I hope. We shall see.

Certainly lighter than my pair of EAs! Small but back-breakers, they are.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Many, many people do.