The Ultimate Session Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 21, 2005.

Which One

Poll closed Oct 28, 2005.
  1. Fender Jazz

91 vote(s)
  2. Fender Precision

60 vote(s)
  3. Lakland 44/55-01/02

13 vote(s)
  4. Spector Rebop Bolt-on

3 vote(s)
  5. Ibanez BTB

4 vote(s)
  6. Ibanez SR

8 vote(s)
  7. Musicman Stingray

25 vote(s)
  8. Yamaha BB1000/3000

5 vote(s)
  9. Alembic Series 1/2

13 vote(s)
  10. 6 Pickup 38 fret custom beast with built in bass pod

16 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alright, if you were a session bassist, looking to have the most versatile tone, not bringing the 4-5-6 strings argument into it, what would you choose?..and all models are standards, like american series etc etc
  2. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I would go with a generic MIA Jazz or Precision depending on the tone I am seeking.

If recording onto Cubase, doesn't really matter what bass you use anyway.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sadowsky Vintage 4 - alder / maple with VTC.

No question.
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    So where's the Bongo anyway?
  5. I'm sorry when you said "session bass" - did you mean "recording session" or "jam session" or "live session"?

There's a BIG difference, ya know

for recording session...probably a Sadowsky modern 5

for a jam session ... probably a Sadowsky modern 5

for a live session ... probably a Sadowsky modern 5
  6. Gotta be a Fender. And since your into the HipHop/R&B thing, I voted for Fender P.

Alotta modern records are done with a P, funky.
  7. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Line 6 Variax bass w/ Bass POD XT Live.... or maybe not..

Probably a Lakland 55-94. Altho my new Cort Artisan A5 does quite well, thank you.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Why do you say that?
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've found that the most transparent basses are great for studio use. In saying that, I've used 2 basses over the years. A Fender Jazz and believe it or not, an Ibanez SR505! I had one engineer tell me the Ibanez was the best sounding bass he'd heard in years and it was a pleasure to track. I would gather to say that the Fender P bass probably has the highest usage in recording history.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can't go wrong with a Precision Bass.
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    In my limited recording experience, my Jazz has been the best by far. It's sounded great on "indie" rock, punk, blues, and metal, whether played with fingers or pick, and I've gotten decent thump using the S-1 switch on some tracks. And that's all before I replaced the stock pickups with hum-canceling Fralins! I have yet to record with my Precision into studio grade equipment though.
  12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    From what I remember of it, a 5-string Lakland would do great in the studio, at least for me. I try not to have "one" sound whenever doing tracks, and the J/MM p'up config plus the 3-band EQ, pole selector switch, etc.. would IMO make it a killer studio setup...
    I just wish they played better... I would've kept it if so... Those Barts sounded SOOO good...
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Most universally versitile bass is the Lakland

Best for rock and stuff- Alembic
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    None of the above, Id vote Dingwall and Skjold :)
  15. Go to ANY good studio and 9 times out of 10, you'll find either a Fender Jazz or Precision.
  16. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    It would have to be a TylerTylerTylerTyler ;) , I mean that Demeter preamp just kills everything else out there.
  17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you're considering diverse styles, an alder/rosewood Precision is the one bass most likely to keep the engineer and the artist smiling IME. Next would be an alder/rosewood Jazz, followed by an Ash body fender-style bass of either pickup config.

If you're recording with a single group and you have your own collective sound, then you can choose a bass that best suits your own trip. Could be anything.
  18. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I recently used my Alembic Series I in the studio and it was a champion. I went direct out from the DS-5R to the board and the engineer was very happy with the overall product.

19. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    :D :D

Yeah agreed. I get asked for a Fender Jazz rather a lot though, but the Sadowsky is definitely my first choice.
  20. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    you've left out sadowsky and tyler, basses that are famous for their session qualities. foderas and nordstrands also record very well.