1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD THE ULTIMATE: Yamaha TRB-6P w/ LANE POOR & BARTOLINI (Take II)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MoonDoggy, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    First Gen Yamaha TRB-6P in transparent orange over Flamed Maple body wing caps w/ a piece of Walnut (??) in the middle.

- 5-piece Maple/Mahogany neck-thru neck.
    - Wide and flat (39" radius!) Ebony 34" scale fingerboard
    - Dual truss rods, not the single truss rod version (This = Super nice playability!)
    - 19mm spacing at the bridge
    - Gold hardware w/ strap locks
    - Brass bridge w/ piezos
    - Upgraded Lane Poor YAM6 p/ups (includes Bartolini slim Js & original Yamaha slims)
    - OHSC in great condition
    - I'm not sure of the weight, but this bass ain't for sissies! That Maple is very solid and so is the tone.

This thing is everything I ever wanted in a bass. It's darn near impossible to find a top quality 34" scale 6 string with 4 string spacing. And the tone is to die for. It's crystal clear w/ plenty of funk, punch, balls, and bark when you want it. And the piezos can be Very useful.

This is a slapper's dream! It's great for jazz or praise and worship situations. I actually used it in a metal/hard rock project for a while! It just works for everything. And the Lane Poors are a HUGE difference over the Barts. They’re hotter while still being quieter and clearer.

I'd rate the bass as an 8.9 out of 10. There are no chips, chunks of finish missing, or major flaws. The only flaws are small superficial clear coat scuffs on the back of the upper horn and on tummy contour. There are also some small lines on the back of the neck on the treble side about halfway down. They can be felt more than they can be seen, BUT they are not felt when playing as they are on the treble side the neck. They do not effect playing. Gold plating on brass bridge has some tarnishing, but not terrible.

I've heard some reports of these having faulty electronics/piezos, but I've had ZERO problems with it. They sound great. Using the piezos in the upper registers gives you a great electric nylon string guitar sound. They’re actually pretty darn useful!

Pics:
    http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/moondoggy3/Yamaha TRB-6P w- Lane Poors/

YamahaTRB6P-GRAIN.

YamahaTRB6P-GRAIN1.

A stock TRB-6P does $1100-$1300 in this condition. I value the Barts at $125ish and the Lane Poors at $350ish. (I've adjusted my prices from my last FS thread. Apparently the economy has driven prices down a bit on these!)

No Paypal. $1900 $1800 $1750 $1500 plus S&H. I'll ship internationally as well.

EDIT:
    If you want the bass with ONLY the LPs and originals (no Barts), the price will be $1400 + S&H.
    If you want the bass with ONLY the Barts and originals (no LPs), the price will be $1250 + S&H.
    If you want the bass with ONLY the original p/ups (no Barts, no LPs), the price will be $1200 + S&H.

2. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Is this price still too high???

3. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    where is it made?

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I bought one for $500 last summer. just sayin'.

5. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    You bought a TRB-6P for $500????? It wasn't a non-piezo TRB-6 or a bolt-on TRB??? There's a Huge difference!

First gen TRB-6Ps consistently do over $1000 and have been that way for years. It seems like not too long ago they were bringing $1300-$1500. Prices have dropped slightly in the last year to about the range I posted above ($1100 -$1300). I don't know where you found a TRB-6P that cheap, but that is quite the find!!! Congrats!

6. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that these Yamahas were all made in Japan.

7. leojazz

leojazz

Sep 29, 2010
    Boston MA
    Yes they are Japanese made...
    Free bump for a killer bass...

8. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Yes made in Japan,and a killer 6 string bass,yours looks in fantastic condition,shame your not in the UK i would have bought it,or traded my Bogart for it,(you know who i am!!!)hope your well,cheers,J.

9. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    TRB-6P neck thru, piezo bridge. Double truss rod and found some SD bassline pickups to switch out the single coils if i want. It was a great find, killer bass!

There is nothing inconsistent about your asking price and the overall used market value on these basses. I would buy it just for the Lane Poors but they are being made again so I can just order some if I want.

10. TRBman

TRBman

Jul 9, 2006
    Paris, France
    is that great looking and sounding TRB6-P have a thin neck profile?
    most of the time 2 truss-rods series have a little more thick one than
    1 truss-rod series...

11. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    It's a very comfortable thickness. It isn't wafer thin like an older Carvin LB76. But it's less chunky than an early Asian made 'pre-Toby' Tobias I had. It's definitely not a Louisville Slugger either!

I'd say it has a similar feel to an older F Bass BN6 I had. It's also similar to an Ibanez 1306 I had, but of course a bit wider. I'll grab some measurements of the thickness when I get home.

12. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Flamed Maple body wing caps? lovely bass though.:hyper:

13. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Caps meaning the body wings (or sides) are not solid maple. The same as saying the bass has a maple top and back w/ center laminate.

14. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Remember, this bass comes with THREE sets of pickups- The original Yamahas, a pair of Bartolinis, and a pair of Lane Poors (installed).

See end of first post. I've edited prices if you do not want certain pickups included.

15. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    That string spacing is just right for me and would benefit any arthritis sufferer who plays a 6'er. Philly bump for this one. Nice color.

16. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    It has become pretty darn difficult to find mid and high end 6 strings with 34" scale and 19mm spacing. Everybody thinks a low B has to be 35" scale or greater to sound good. Completely false!

17. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    How is the pre amp set up as far as the knobs? What's the switch for?

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Free bump for what looks like a very nice deal: I'm not in the market (I'd probably break a finger trying to play a 6er) but just wanted to give you a vote of confidence -- from everything I can see, your asking price is reasonable. A Yamaha that listed around 3100, probably retailed for somewhere around 2200, in good condition should resell for 1100-1300 pretty easily. I can't speak to the value of the LPs, but for the Barts, I'd just go look at what they're selling for, and probably cut that in half...All in all, looks like a very nice package deal!

You might consider offering a variety of options -- bass alone, bass with one of the other pup sets, bass with both other sets. And then if you need to, sell off any remaining pup sets alone...if you have the ability to swap the pups yourself, you can offer it like that too -- some folks might not want extra pickups lying around, or want one of the specific sets, but don't want to immediately pay to have them installed...

It's still a pretty ugly market, so don't sell yourself short in a rush -- remember that some folks will have fresh Christmas money on December 26 and will be looking to spend :bassist:

Good luck!

ltt

19. MooneyDriver

MooneyDriver

Oct 6, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Lots of good things come from Kent, Ohio!!!! :)

20. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    The preamp controls are Vol, Blend, Bass, Treb, and Piezo/Mag Blend. As for the switch, I'm honestly not sure. It only makes a difference in Piezo mode, but it doesn't drastically shape the tone. I do notice a volume difference when it's flipped in piezo mode, but again, it's not a drastic change. If someone would be so kind as to let me know what the switch is for, I would be thankful!

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.