Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The unincredible "lego" bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shellac, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Shellac

Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Texas
    Grrrr. I've had it with this bass (Ibanez BTB405tk), literally falling apart as of late. I loved it for it's tone, it's thick neck, and it's overall look, but after battling with glitchy electronics, projectile like volume knobs (popping off), and such....i'm ready to get rid of it for good. The problems could be fixed, and actually probably are unique to my bass, but being that I haven't had this bass long, I just don't have any degree of worth for it anymore. Not to mention it's my only bass giving me problems. I'm not looking to buy another Ibanez anytime soon, or maybe ever again......

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some advice on a worthwhile trade-in. I'm looking for something with a similiar neck and string spacing, but that's not too important, so long as it's not a Soundgear. I must mention that I'm not looking to trade in for another 5, but rather a 4 (so the thick neck in ratio to a 4), and the price can be either a bit lower or higher, so long as the bass is quality constructed. Active electronics are welcomed, as are pups, and a good warm tone with clear highs and atleast some growl. Basically I just need to be pointed at some 4s in the BTBs range that you consider better basses.

I'm looking for something with a good tone most importantly, for general rock, punk, metal, and some jazz if possible. Looks aren't as important. Fender maybe?

Thanks for any help.

2. if you're going passive, maybe a standard american jazz.
    and if active, a MIM jazz deluxe? try 'em out; they're worth looking into.

3. Shellac

Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Texas
    Thanks, FLOYD. I'm thinking active, but I'll try both of those out just for good measure.

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Wheres the pic of the bass completely made of legos?!?! False advertising, I'm sueing! :spit: :p

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah for the phantom White Stripes bassist!

Shellac, have you considered Musicman products?

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    if you want chunky neck, and quality construction, a Warwick might be a good thing to try. A good P-bass would be good if you are looking for a fender.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yup, sounds like a Warwick you are after. The neck is very thick though, so try before you buy. Perhaps a Corvette with bubinga body?

8. i would try to get a older warwick. not as thick neck. but still thick. the new necks have a flat spot on the back. u can reall feel were it begins and ends.

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    have you looked into a Music Man yet? i was'nt a fan of theirs till one of my friends bought one and had me set it up for him and i actually got a good chance to play it for a while nice and loud w/out a salesman breathing down my neck trying to convince me to buy one.
    i can honestly say its a well made bass that sounds fantastic,though i am no fan of the 1 M.M style p-ups but this bass has a great sound and i give it 2 thumbs up:D

10. I suggest you take a look at a G&L. And no I don't own one, but it seems like you could like it.

11. The last Ibanez bass I owned had crap electronics too. I traded it for a Music Man. I've never looked back. The MusicMan StingRay has a neck you might like. The sound is well MM and the workmanship is first class.

12. i think i'm the only guy who's never had a problem with my ibanez.

by the way, i really want to see a lego bass.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Perhaps an MTD Kingston4. You would'nt have to spend much on it and with the extra money in your pocket you can buy an aftermarket preamp.

14. if you get a chance, you may also enjoy a warwick rockbass. interesting basses -- part warwick and part something else entirely -- and they're fairly inexpensive. i played one when i went into a music store looking for a BTB. i preferred the rockbass.

robb.