The Unkown Bassist (or Who The Heck Was That?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassistJ, Apr 12, 2001.

1. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Hey ya'll. Any of you been in a situation where your at a concert or festival, watching a video, or just crusing on the radio and you hear this bassist that is so phenominally awsome you just about lose it? And when you can't find out who it is, you do lose it? I'd hate to think I'm the only one. But to get the ball rolling, I guess I'll start the sharing. (Can you feel the love?)
    My teacher gave me this video of some taped concerts to watch as homework. All of a sudden, there's this band. I have no idea when it was from, who they were, and where they were. All I know is that it was from the 80s (Really tacky "futuristic" type uniforms) and they were a Japanese band. Anyway, the bass player in this group...WOW! He slaps, taps, and pounds what looks like a Ken Smith 8 string (Not those huge things JT plays, but a "conventional" 8 string). At one point his whole picking hand is a blur on the camera from moving to plucking and slapping. Blew me away. And before I can find out who they are, the tape ends. It has driven me absolutely nuts for a week now trying to find out who this band was. Anyone else had this kind of situation happen to them?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hardly ever listen to the radio. Ever once in a while I will listen, and hear something phenomenal. The problem is the idiot big mouthed jackass DJ!!! They never tell you who your listening too!!! (very rarely anyway) I guess if I had more patience it I would eventually hear it, but I can't stand to listen to some idiot (I know, their paid to do it) yell and babble for hours. Drives me nuts (obviously) too.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Sounds like Melvin Davis. I think he's got an 8 or 9-string Ken Smith.

Will C.:cool:
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...Melvin is Japanese? :)
    A long time ago, I think Bass Player mag(again, I think)did a feature on some Japanese bassists who were kinda in a Fusion/Jazz-Rock vein.
    "Futuristic"-type uniforms? Sounds like they were into some sorta Sun Ra vibe. ;)
    If I think about it, I'll look at some of my older issues...
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Whoops... read a tad too fast.

Then again, there's no reason Melvin couldn't have been born in Japan. No?

Will C.:cool:
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    BassistJ: My guess is that it's Casiopea and the bassist is Tetsuo Sakurai. They're still around, but he and drummer Akira Jimbo have left the band.
  7. The band is Casiopea. But the bassist isn't Tetsuo Sakurai. It is their newer bassist, Yoshihiro Naruse, more commonly referred to as Narucho in Japan. I know it must be him because he uses eight-string and ten-string basses which he slaps and taps. The basses he uses are his signature series Tune basses. I've had a chance to play their 5- strings when I was visiting Japan. Quality instruments. I haven't seen any outside Japan though.