1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The unmistakable Chuck Rainey

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garagiste, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Heard this in my local coffee shop yesterday. The double-stops are unmistakable. I Shazamed the tune and sure enough it's Chuck Rainey. Bernard Purdie on the skins as well. I didn't know either of them had recorded for Staxx.

2. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Chuck's discography goes on for pages. He's worked with 100's of top musicians, singers and studios.
    I always wondered why I had a "guilty pleasure" with the Rascals Groovin' album (Yes, I know I'm showing my age)
    Chuck did some incredible bass lines on;
    Groovin'
    A Girl Like You
    How Can I be Sure

bassplayer65 and ahc like this.
  3. You should hear his work with Steely Dan :thumbsup:

(also my all-time favorite band)

4. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Both Rainey and Purdie were together on a lot of Steely Dan's stuff :). Peg is my "idle hands" track (if i have a bass in my hands and im not doing anything else with it, ill probably end up playing peg without even noticing)

5. nolaguy

nolaguy

Jun 27, 2011
    Rainey and Purdie were on tons of recordings as a rhythm section. In addition to many Aretha Franklin recordings, in the late 1960s they were on every other Atlantic records release. If you run across a recording featuring them get it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Pbassmanca and JimK like this.
  6. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Speaking of the Rascals, another Rainey track I liked was:

Pbassmanca and ahc like this.
  7. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I'm going to stop on this one for now because there are far too many to mention, but here is another favorite, especially the middle section:

(It kind of irks me where that darn "Play" icon ends up sometimes)

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Stax and Atlantic were joined at the hip for a few years, they probably contracted some stuff up to NY and visa-versa.

9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Speaking of the Rascals and Chuck Rainey, as well as Mr. Rainey, the Peaceful World album has the following bassists on it. Some good tunes too.
    • Robert Popwell
    • William Salter

Pbassmanca, JimK and jerry like this.
  10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Chuck hooked me with this one:

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Even before I saw Pops Popwell's name on Crusaders albums I had this one, coming from New Jersey Rascal albums were mandatory. :)

12. Nothing to add ........ heaven .....

Booty Shaman likes this.
  13. Age ...... nothing ,,,, know where your coming from my friend

14. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Chuck Rainey plays bass on this track:

Lamont! You dummy!

MrLenny1, GregC, ahc and 1 other person like this.
  15. Agent P

Agent P

Apr 3, 2015
    USA
    I didn't know who Mr. Chuck Rainey was when I first heard "Peg" as a kid starting off on bass guitar. It was the track that got me to start exploring double-stops and use my right-thumb. But as I got older, I found out who he was (of course!) :)

Here's a bass play-a-long video I did last night using my old P-Bass that I installed a new pickup into (EMG GZR passive/solder-less). I hope that I did the song some justice and #respect to him for teaching us all so much about bass playing:

MrLenny1, jerry, Booty Shaman and 5 others like this.
  16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...nice job.

17. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Damn, that was so great. Loved your playing and your tone. So awesome.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Peg is Chuck on bass but it's Jerry Marotta on the skins....

19. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    It was his brother Rick who played on Peg.

joebar and JimK like this.
  20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Ah.....Classic Chuck Rainey. Those chords and double stops are a dead giveaway. That Precision Bass tone is what I consider to be one of the quintessential if not THE quintessential P Bass tones. A dry, woody, thumpy, flatwound sound with spankin' mids that cut right through any mix. Perfect.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021