Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The unofficial Ampeg BA210 thread!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jan 14, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Did a search on anything involving this combo and found approximately nothing. No reviews anywhere either. So this is it!

If you have owned or tried the BA210, please weigh in with your thoughts here.

Please note that this is not for the BA-210sp, but the BA-210 WITHOUT EFFECTS (the BA210). I suspect that the circuitry and sound of this model are different.

2. kap'n kro

kap'n kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was actually looking at one not too long ago. It's a nice amp sounds good, and has lots of cool features. Its pretty tiny at only like 21x21 I believe, and its more on the heavier side for 2x10 combos, 80 some pounds as I remember, but unlike the BA210sp it comes with casters installed which makes it less of a problem. As a standalone (it has to be) in the 200-250 watt range I thought it was exceptional, but just watch because you can't add an extension cabinet, so if you'd ever want to upgrade from it you'd have to start from scratch, which may or may not make a difference to you. Just my thoughts.

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Yeah I agree it's heavy at 85lbs. Mine seems very portable with the handles on both sides and the casters though. Judging by the response, I'll bet Ampeg only sold five of these things and I've got one of them. :D

1. One of the best features on this thing is the built-in tuner. You're never on the tuner hunt with this thing.
    2. Good smooth Ampeg tone.
    3. Compact size and good portability for its weight.
    4. Has all the features to make it go from practice amp to gigging.

Pet peeves:
    1. Volume is scratchy. It's a brand new amp and should not be scratchy. Another person tried a new one and his volume was scratchy too.
    2. Mine likes to play static and radio interference through the tweeter. Even with the mute button engaged. :mad:
    3. To balance the CD input, you have to throw all your settings to the extreme ends of things. It's stupid: They should have just thrown a volume dial on it for the line-in. :rolleyes:
    4. It was expensive.
    5. No extension speaker (runs at 4 ohm).

Strange things to me:
    Goes 'boing' when you turn it on and 'pop' when you turn it off. This seems to be just a character trait of the amp. Another quirk is that the amp seems to warm up like a tube amp. It's not instant-on, it's more like an old TV when you wait for the picture (the 'boing' at power-up sounds like when you turn on an old TV too. Curious. Maybe it's because its 220 watts and 4 ohm.

Caveats:
    I've only owned 3 combos: a 100 watt Fender M80, a Yorkville Y50B, and this Ampeg BA210. So far, for the money I spent, I thought it would be better. It's twice as good as the old Fender it replaced, but I don't know how it stacks up against stuff I haven't tried.

My biggest worry is that it might not be loud enough for small to medium-sized gigs. Has anyone ever played this amp out?

4. Fret Buzz

Fret Buzz

Jan 31, 2004
    South Florida
    Howdy, Just registered on this forum...I've recently purchased a BA-210 to have a sensible working amp...My big rig is a Sunn 300T/Hartke 410XL....First I bought an Ampeg B-100R, Great tone and portability, but got lost at a typical club enviornment.....Could use it ony with good P.A. reinforcement...Returned it and got the BA210....It's a winner..Took it to the same club (I've got a weekly gig there), a great place to experiment...Big difference...Great tone with no "farting" out on the low end....D.I. worked wonderfully, soundman said it was the best D.I. sound he heard from me...Last nite I played an outdoor club in Key Largo, Fla.....Didn't use any P.A. assist and didn't need it!!! I play in blues, and blues oriented rock....The Ampeg's tone is quite clean. I think some king of limiter is used internally. If you want gritty, I think you'll have to use some kind of overdrive device...Specs say it 86lbs...But it seems lighter...The road handles on the side really help.......My basses for these gigs were a Fender CS '59 Relic-P, and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz (active). I'm quite critical of my sound so I gave this evaluation much thought and experimentation.....It's definately a keeper, and I'll use it for most gigs.....Fret Buzz :hyper:

5. Gonzo64

Gonzo64 Bass Ackwards

Apr 7, 2012
    Towson, MD
    I recently bought this combo brand-new, but probably 2 model years old. Very happy with the output (for 220w into a pair of 10s) and even happier with the "classic Ampeg tone" Beautiful sound that got better as the speaker's suspension broke in. I am told that they're not nearly as good any more, now that they're made offshore. any thoughts?

6. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    I picked up a used BA210SP yesterday, American made, and yup it makes a weird noise at start up and a weird noise when turning it off, gonna take it to a jamm this afternoon and see how it goes.....

7. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Congrats on the new amp.

My BA210 is my main rig nowadays.

It's an older model, USA made SLM version, the one before the "SP".

So no effects, instead it has the on board tuner (which is really cool, wish more amps/heads did that for us "no pedal" type of players).

Other than being a little heavy, I really like every thing about it. It's rather compact, has a great sound, plenty of volume, and of course has that classy Ampeg look.

I've even used it numerous times for outdoor gigs up to a couple hundred folks (got another one coming up in May) and have never had an issue. For larger crowds, I just set it on a low stool or milk crate.

8. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    Took my 210 to practice yesterday and WOW!!! what can I say?!?!? flippin thing kicks!!! I plan on this configuration for live applications.
    On the bottom is my new,Chinese made BA115HP on top of course is my BA210SP, I plug my bass into a "Y" cable and then direct into both amps. This is one huge sounding "combo" :hyper: me happy this "fixes my not having a "stack" problem cuz as you can see I've stacked my amps!!!Yes mine too is the American made by SLM. its really much louder than my 115 which is also 220watts

Attached Files:

9. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Nice stack! :bassist:

So you say the 210 is louder than the 115? Always wondered about that.

10. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    yes the 210 is WAY louder than the 115! and it doesnt distort. which is nice. now im trying to figure out how to connect both amps with out any hum, Im using a DOD stereo flanger that when connected it it creats a hum not bad but I can hear it. next Im going to send the signal out from my 210's XLR out to the 1/4' input of the 115, befor I do though, with the proper cables will this be too much signal? or should I route it through a mixer first?
    I want the least amount of connections possible.

11. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    I want the least amount of connections possible.

12. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    well i decided to try my other stereo efx pedals and still got the hum. It was still too early to try and get to Radioshack for an XLR to 1/4" mono phone jack, when my wife woke up and I was able to try my Peavey PV6 mini mixer to connect the 210's XLR to the 115's 1/4" input and it's silent! just as if they weren't connected together. I leave everything flat on the 115 (12 O'clock) the style knob on three, and thus far its silent, no more distortion from the 115 cuz I'm using the direct signal I guess and I'm not having to over drive it, I dont know or care how it works it just does, so now I have to wait until my next practice to prove it out. I will let yall know then.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hand to God, if I didn't think Ampeg's stuff was as good or better now than it was when SLM owned them and made them in America, I wouldn't have accepted a deal from them. Life's too short, you know?

14. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Just want to brag on my little BA210 and how incredible it handled our Memorial day party!

Small outdoor venue on a patio at a winery, playing to dancers and folks seated at dining area and a deck above dining area.

Gain set at 4, master at a leisurely 2...yes, 2! (Okay, I admit I was also going DI into our PA but still....) with my Precision w/ brand new XLs, it was PERFECT.

I had a smile on my face all afternoon, and not just from all the dancing and wine ha ha.

[​IMG]

15. edward wyatt

edward wyatt

Nov 28, 2014
    I have one of the american made ba210's and i use for small wherehouse gigs. very interesting amp and has the balls to pump out what i need, being in a punk band it comes through clear enough for my simple three chords.