1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Unofficial iPhone apps thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 8, 2008.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why are you telling the Qintar? He probably doesn't care.

bc

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    even you, qintar, can't crack the 1password app, i don't care how many fences you have "nailed"

3. Yes, I was a "Palm person" for years (and then I got a real girlfriend, bah-doom-boom....) But does anyone know of something equivalent to the Palm's "Memos" function? I stored tons of reference documents there that I can't move to the iPhone. iPhone has that Memo Pad thingy, but you can't sync those to your desktop or create memos on your desktop, so it's useless to me.

Anyway, my favorite iPhone/iPod Touch apps are:
    * Wurdle - simple but addicting find-a-word game
    * SPiN - a cool 3D "silhouette" game, hard to explain but worth checking out
    * reMovem - same game as "Bubblet" or "Jawbreaker" on the Palm or Windows Mobile platforms, an old favorite
    * iTV

And this isn't exactly an iPhone app but if you haven't discovered Handbrake yet, download it to your desktop. It's a free utility that easilly converts your video files & DVDs into iPhone/iPod Touch-compatible size.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Give me more details about what exactly it does. I wasn't a Palm guy but I may or may not about a helpful app. I've downloaded and tried out tons of them and I keep up with the Apps forum at macrumors.com.

bc

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    1password that mr. brad "i'm the qintar" cook recommended works with the memo thing, but it's more of a password protection apps - it's still free and will sync to and from a MAC to an iphone or palm.

i agree, apple has a huge FAIL not being able to sync tasks/todos or notes. HUGE fail... *enter Maki*

6. Basically, Palm would let you create documents on your PC using a simple text editor (kind of like Windows Notepad), then these documents would get copied to your handheld each time that you Sync'd. To my knowledge, Apple doesn't have anything like this. :atoz:

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Another fail with the iPhone is not being able to cut and paste, and attach photos to a text message. But everything else is cool. I don't understand why you need a password to protect your notes, if you just put a password on the phone. My wife gets pissed at me, but I don't let her use my iphone. The password works great for that. Unfortunately, it also makes me sleep on the couch a lot. :scowl:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, the lack of copy and paste and sending text messages sucks... but, it's so dam easy to just send out an email with a pic (most of my friends have their emails pushed to their PDA's)...

in re pass protecting notes:

the only reason i did that was because palm could sync and i had to "hide" and pass protect my note with very super dooper secret info (banks, pass's, etc).. i did this for many years..

i really like this iphone, but can't seem to integrate it here at the office with outlook.. with ical and addy book at home it's fine. outlook sucks.

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't use Outlook, but I think you might find an app for that. It's a common enough problem. Or not. Microsoft no play nice sometimes.

10. I am able to sync my iPod Touch to my Outlook Calendar and Contacts at work, no problems. Outlook email at work, that's another story, but I actually prefer NOT seeing work emails when I'm away from the office. :)

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's my situation, it's confusing:

(the old 80's and 90's me):

Palm

(office) Palm to Palm Desktop (PC) - my main back up and the main way i would add stuff into my Palm.. this syncing system worked flawless IMHO over the years. the main reason i never wanted to change.

(home) Mac to Palm Desktop (MAC) - craptastically failurastic. syncing was slow and the app on the Mac was/is trash (old claris organizer i think). i would rarely sync at home, but then again, i was rarely adding anything to the Palm after hours anyway.

******I exported from palm desktop everything, but not everything will import into Outlook, iCal, Addy Book/Contact, etc.******

(the new and improved me 2008+):

iPhone

(office) iPhone to outlook - doesn't work for crap and messes everything up on the iPhone when i try to sync. email is enterprise to it's a push to the phone which is perfect. all i really need is a stable calendar sync on my work PC (wish list, like most of us want: notes sync, tasks/todos sync)

(home) iPhone to iCal, Addy book, etc. (and now 1password via wifi only). works pretty darn well but sometimes when i want something erased from the entire system, it still leaves it on both. better safe than sorry, i suppose.

I was goign to try mobileme but there are horror stories on syncing issues.. so i'm not even going to try.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this doesn't work anymore, qintar.. you slipped.

14. iBump

15. Apple just approved soft pron apps....yippeeee!!!:hyper:

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Finally bought the lic's for 1password. Amazing. The best ever.

17. Necro-bump...

I just downloaded an app called Photo-Sort, which lets you create, name / rename folders, and move all your pics around at will right on your phone without needing to sync to iTunes (which I hate doing). I've only used the program for an hour or so thus far, but it works great!

Also, Angry Birds is a CRAZY addictive game!!! There's a free version to give it a test drive first.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Some new aps.

Free aps -
    Bump - allows you to share photos/contacts by simply tapping iPhones together. Other phone has to have bump. Great platform and technology. I can see this eventually extending to songs/movies.
    Weedfinder - allows you to find the nearest medical marijuana dispensary
    Yelp - powerful little community ap. This is very quickly becoming my next Facebook. Review restaurants, shops, services, and businesses. Have friends and read their reviews. Great for finding a place to eat (especially in a new area)
    Crop for free - simple little photocropping ap
    Adobe Photoshop lite - pretty powerful light version of Photoshop on your phone
    Failmaker icon - turn photos into fails, wins, and pwns
    Dictionary.com - it's a cool little dictionary
    Motion-x - it uses gps to map your journey, complete with a distance, average speed, and elevation change. Great for mountain biking. Put it in your pocket at go. I also used it to plot a course using long/lat coords for diving.
    Justin.tv - allows you to pick up live broadcasts. I was using it a lot during NBA playoffs and world cup
    Wikipanion - wikipedia ap
    Golf gps - allows you to determine distance to hole on the golf course. Works well, but drains battery before 18th. More courses being added all the time.
    Twitteriffic - twitter
    Iheartradio - pick up local or syndicated radio broadcasts.
    Priceline negotiator - used it this weekend and saved 30 bucks off the AAA rate on a room.
    Emoji - cool little emoticon ap that uses international keyboard format.
    5-0 radio - local police and emergency scanner.
    Trapster - maps local speed traps, and sobriety check points
    Free wifi - maps where you can get free local wifi
    Ihandi level - a virtual level. Works great. I used it when hanging a picture the other day.
    Craigspro - create and scan craigslist aps
    Photobucket - upload and manage your Photobucket

Pay aps
    Hipstermatic - awesome little photo ap that makes your pics look like vintage film. Good quality
    Beatmaker - create beats that can be saved and exported as .wav files. Pretty good. I actually used a dub beat in a song I'm working on.

19. ^ I have Photoshop, Golf GPS, Photobucket, and Hipstermatic. All great apps!

Daren, check out iDiscrete. It's a great hidden pic / video / text app. Can separate pics by folders, has folders for videos as well as texts. All can be easily renamed and sorted. It's password protected by tapping out predefined areas of the screen to allow access. Neat stuff. it's the best stealth image program I've found. I'm sure a dirt-merchant like yourself (much like I am) would enjoy such an app...

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes it is. I finally beat it on my Droid last night.

-Mike