Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The use of a hair tie......

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassmasta86, May 22, 2003.

1. as a string dampener?

I heard that Vic uses a hair tie as a string dampener so that he can keep the other strings in control while he slaps. Can anyone tell me where to put it? Just on top of the nut...or in front....or behind? and how tight does it have to be?

Can anyone ellaborate?

Thanks!

2. P.S.: I think Ray Riendeau does this, too. I've seen something looking like a hair tie around the top end of his neck.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Yeah, Ray does that. I've been thinking about trying it out. For a bass that doesn't have much sustain at all, I still get annoying ringing on unwanted strings (have been working on muting, though).

I know this is a silly question, but how do you get the hair tie on? When I try to wrap it around, the tuning pegs get in the way.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...I've never done it before, but it would probably be easiest if you laid the tuning pegs flat, then wrapped it over one peg at a time till you got to the nut.

5. Hey thanks,

But he doesn't really explain where to put it.....like when he says slide it up the neck, where does that mean? If I'm playing at the 4th fret, where would it go? 9th?

Also, doesn't this restrict any open strings at all? What if I needed an open string...? i.e if I was using it in 'Classical Thump'.

Thanks so much

Cheers

6. I've done it. It tends to get in the way if anything... messes up which fret you're on. In terms of dampening, rubber bands work better than a hair elastic.

Also, if you want to totally slaughter any sustainment, weave a plastic card (like laminated paper, not credit cards) through the strings at the bridge. Different materials make different sounds... it's fun to experiment.

7. TFR-bass

TFR-bass

Jun 3, 2003
    Central Jersey
    Personally, i have yet to try the hair tie thing (only because i dion't have one) but it's pretty easy to figure out the placement. for example if your playing at the 4th fret it wouldn't do much good to have the hair tie muting the strings at the 9th fret. If the hair tie is behind your hand (towards the nut) it will mute the strings that are not being played. you can move the hair tie around as you play as well. not that it matters, but i can only see this being a useful thing to assist (not rely on) to keep strings muted while tapping. Other than that i think it is more important to be able to mute the strings with your hand/fingers... however you are more comfortable.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yes, it's just to keep open strings from ringing when tapping. The Chapman Stick and Warr Guitar, among others, use something similar.

Around the first fret should do just fine. If you need to play at the first fret, move it back a little. With big heavy bass strings, I'm not sure if it will damp them that much - it'll stop higher frequency sympathetic stuff, but you'll still have to work on not bumping other strings, and muting with your hands when you can.

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i just put an elastic on, and it does help with sloppy slapping. if you tend to brush other strings, it makes it less noticible. it worked for me (it was hard to get on. i had to put it on at the OTHER end of the neck. i had to take it off. i couldn't think of an easier way. it wouldn't fit over top. :meh:

10. I keep a hair tie or two around the nut.

In case I need to tie my hair back.

Besides it looks cool and gets the kids wondering
    what the big secret is. :D