Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the use of epoxy ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basswou, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    hi !

I 'm looking for some kind of way to finish my homemade cabinets . It must last long and easy to put on ! well ...
    I heared about epoxy : Is it easy to use ( paint it on ) or will the surface be bumpy ? is epoxy transparant ? comes it with colours ? any help is welcome !

thanks.

2. Your idea for epoxy isn't the best for what you want. The problems are these:

1. Epoxy is a 2 part adhesive that has a limited working time before the catalyst and hardener begin to get too thick for application. You would have to mix enough to do an entire cabinet and then work quickly enough to finish be fore the mixture hardened. Too much room here for a mistake or poor application.

2. After complete curing, epoxy is somewhat brittle and wouldn't do well as a coating that could, forseeably, take an impact. I would suspect that the layer would crack and eventually give up pieces.

That said, there are a couple of excellent solutions to your problem:

1. Bedliner - Sold through automotive stores, this product is a roll-on, one-part polyurethane coating that will encase and waterproof your cabinet. You might find it under the name "Rhino Coating" This stuff is EXTREMELY tough (hey it's used in pick-up beds!) and comes in several colors. When rolled on, it creates a nice textured surface, not unlike the Tolex fabric it would replace. It isn't the cheapest stuff in the world but it would be less expensive than epoxy to do the same area.

2. Indoor/Outdoor carpeting - Found in home improvement centers, this is a step up from the usual carpet covers that most cabinets have. The type you want comes with a fairly hard "backing" that acts as the perfect glue surface. I've use this with great success on my last cabinet and will likely do it again. The best material will have some small "ribs" in the weave that can be oriented to the cabinet and look very good. It doesn't have the "fuzzy" appearance of other types of carpet. This material is applied with spray on contact cement and, once attached, is also very, very tough. After you've finished gluing the stuff down, you can re-install your hardware and go to town!

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Hambone pretty much covered it so to speak. There are some flexible epoxies out there but to cover a speaker cab would cost a lot and still wouldn't work as well as tolex or some other carpet type stuff. If you have an unlimited supply of cheap epoxy you can experiment with adding colour and other foreign material like sawdust to make it flexible. You may hit on a mix that works for that one particular epoxy and then again you may not. Even it you do make it work it really isn't the tool for this job.

4. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    thanks guys !!

If I find this bedliner thing in a shop . I will give it a try !