The USS Enterprise (aircraft carrier, not starship) is going to be scrapped :(...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, May 14, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    My uncle told me just this past weekend that he received a notice that the USS Enterprise will be scrapped after it's last mission. (still another year or two away I believe) He was stationed on the big E during the Viet Nam war

It's hard to believe that something so massive and full of history could ever be cut up and sold as scrap... it almost seems like a travesty. :(

Here's an article on it:

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...65-uss-enterprise-begins-its-final-deployment

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    We build slowly and destroy swiftly.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well.... if nothing more we sure as hell got our money's worth out of that sucker. They designed it to last 25 years, it lasted 50. Wish my car was like that!

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Yeah that's not good.
    I sailed along side her on a CG many times.
    The CG I was on got towed out to sea and used for target practice a couple years ago. They put a Harpoon missile right between the stacks.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

It's too bad they can't just mothball it or turn it into a museum. It has such historical significance both militarily and from a pop culture stand point as well ( Star Trek, The first Space Shuttle ) Also from a technological stand point ( 1st nuclear powered aircraft carrier ) too I suppose. I'm something of a military buff so I guess I'm biased.

6. I was stationed on the USS Long Beach CGN-9. She was the first nuclear power surface vessel ever built, launched the year before I was born. I was assigned to her during the 1986 WESTPAC where she served as the flagship for the first Battleship Battlegroup since the Korean War. The USS New Jersey was the BB at the center of that fleet.

I was also stationed aboard the Gray Lady when she took the first Tomahawk missile shot in a live fire surface ship exercise in 1985 off the coast of California.

She's a hulk in the Bremerton shipyard now, her iconic square superstructure (based on the Big E's square tower) has been razed to the deck, and her nuclear cores have been removed and stowed someplace nearby.

She's the one in the middle. USS Bainbridge, a nuclear-converted destroyer, is the other ship. She has also been scrapped.

USS-enterprise-long-beach-bainbridge.gif

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Upkeeping and maintenence, even as a floating museum, must be killer on something like that.

8. They can park it in a bay and let me live in it

9. Now that i think about it , you would think they could turn something like that into a floating hotel in a bay, the money it makes repairs the wear and tear on it , use the deck to set up shops and what not on it. Like a floating boardwalk/hotel.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The first USS Enterprise was commissioned in 1775.

11. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Sadly the WWII Enterprise was scrapped in 1959, an incredibly historic ship that participated in almost every major battle of the Pacific - We should get it right this time.

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Scrap it!
    There are already 4 carriers being preserved right now.

US Aircraft Carrier Museums

Hull Number Name City State Location Year Museum Opened
    CV-10 Yorktown Charleston SC Patriot's Point 1975
    CV-11 Intrepid New York City NY Pier 86 1982
    CV-12 Hornet Alameda CA Alameda Point 1998
    CV-16 Lexington Corpus Ch. TX Msm. On The Bay 1992
    CVB-41 Midway San Diego CA Navy Pier 2004

13. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    It'd cost too much. The crew keeps her going but they have a helluva time of it.

14. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I was in the Navy and sailed on the Ogden witch they just sunk. Those old boats suck to be stationed on. They are so much to keep up with and are really outdated. On my old boat it took 11 guys in each main space to run it, now it takes 4 to run both mainspaces. The enterprize was a great ship and she did her part, but now it's time to let her sleep in the ocean she loves.

15. The saddest part is you know where all the scrapped metal from that ship is going.

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Turkey, I believe. That's what my uncle claims they told him..
    I had mentioned to him that they should turn it into a museum ala the Intrepid in New York but he seemed to feel that with the age of the thing, there's probably radioactivity all over it! Who knows..

17. Decommissioning a nuclear carrier requires that they cut considerably large holes in the deck to remove the reactors. Holes that they would then have to fix in order to make it into a museum ship. As someone else has previously mentioned, there are numerous carrier museums around the country, and there aren't too many places that have expressed interest in getting one for themselves, let alone pay for the damn thing.

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Being aware of some of the war time tragedies in which hundreds of teenage cadets met a brutal end (the sinking of the H.M.S. Royal Oak comes to mind), I like it when war ships are outlived by most of the patriots who served on them.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I say scuttle it, another artificial reef would be cool. And that's a wreck I would LOVE to dive.

20. I'm torn. I see the historical significance, but also the costs of upkeep, etc. I am a pretty big history(particularly military)buff but like it when we need one less sword as well. Torn.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021