Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The value of a yorkville amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DougP, Jan 28, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my roommate has a non working Yorkville 400B. he has been wanting to get rid of it, so while he was at work, i spent 5 minutes of my time and fixed it for him. i was playing through and thought it would make a decent amp to schlep back and forth to practice twice a week. better than the 40 pound QSC + preamp that i currently use.
    i looked all over and couldnt find what one of these might be worth. i kept finding the newer (i think) silver faced 400B's but this one is the black faced model. am i correct in guessing that the black model is older? anyways, i was hoping someone could give me a ball park figure of what one these might go for. i didnt even see this particular model listed at the Discontinued section of Yorkvilles website. i am also guessing that it is 400W (probably into 4 ohms). it sounds rather canned, but i can crank the gain to 10 and it doesnt get anywhere close to any grit or fuzz, which is a bonus feature for me.

any forthcoming help would be appreciated.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The new "silver faced" 400B's are actually the XS400's. VERY different design. 12AX7 Sovtek tube in the preamp section, semi-parametric five band EQ instead of the graphic EQ, tube distortion, compressor and limiter, DI out, etc.

I've played through a 400B on a couple occasions and I own the XS400. I can tell you right now, the XS400 sounds way better and you can get 'em for $800CAD new, AFTER taxes. This translates into $645USD. Roll back to $545 for the 400B, considering the lack of features and tinnier sound. Then, considering its used, and I'd pay anywhere from $250-430 depending on condition of the speaker and amp section.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    oh i forgot to mention this is only the head. i dont know if the head on the combo was removable or not, but thats all i have.

thanks for the response.